Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it true side imaging won't work on john boat because motor too close to transom?

I heard side imaging won't work on a john boat because the motor is too close to transom, unless you are willing to have two side imaging transducers on your boat. So it's pointless to buy a side imaging unit for an economy minded fisherman that can't afford a nice boat.

Is this true? I never hear of this being discussed so I don't know and all I see on YouTube is side imaging transducers being installed on boats with a jack plate that provides a nice gap between the boat and the motor.

I have it on my john boat but I have never used it so I don't know. I have a surface drive on mine so it may not effect it being the prop is so far aft. Next time i go out I will try it.

3. Member
    All it needs is a clear view to each side. Trim motor a bit and you are golden.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

4. Member
    Mini jack like CMC trim plate 5" setback problem solved. Might need some Transom reinforcement work though.

The motor will partial block the port side view on my RT188 if I have it trimmed all the way down. When I trim it up a bit, no problem.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    The motor will partial block the port side view on my RT188 if I have it trimmed all the way down. When I trim it up a bit, no problem.
    Same here. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for but it gives me something to look at on the right side.

I have side imaging on my 14 1/2’ Lund Rebel. I mounted the transducer a foot or so to the left of the tiller 25 hp Yamaha motor. The signal shoots between the motor and transom with no problem or even partial blocking of the signal.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Sorry for the double post.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    71B4DFF0-D89D-47CA-A135-F8D2C3447145.jpegI have my 25 Yamaha on a bobs mini hydro jackplate… side image works just fine… clearer image to starboard but still shows port side too.. jackplate makes a difference..

(my transducer isn’t even mounted permanently..been like that forever, probably will stay that way)
    Last edited by marshman; 07-09-2023 at 11:11 PM.

10. Member
    I thought about trimming the motor. I figured I could make it work and hopefully I wouldn't have to trim it so much it would make the bow run high and plow water. Some of those transducers are pretty long.

A jack plate is out of the question for me. Just too pricy and afraid it would weaken my transom.

11. Member
    If you need a set back plate I have a Cmc breakaway 200 bucks

12. Member
    Just trim up and like magic it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by October1 View Post
    I thought about trimming the motor. I figured I could make it work and hopefully I wouldn't have to trim it so much it would make the bow run high and plow water. Some of those transducers are pretty long.

A jack plate is out of the question for me. Just too pricy and afraid it would weaken my transom.
    Since Side Imaging is an idle speed function, trimming out the motor to get clearance for the SI pulses when scanning is a non-issue.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    You could mount it on the bottom of the hull. Add a spacer to get it below the ribs. On my last boat I had to trim the motor up for it to get a clear view to the left.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

15. Member
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/283357820165

I made a rig using some items I found on Ebay to mount the Lowrance side image transducer to my trolling motor. It works but I have no protection from smashing or bottoming out. I am going to use the above design to make a similar mount with a guard.

I will be using some aluminum stock to make the custom gaurd.

16. Member
    Buy another Transducer and a y cable put a Transducer on each side of the boat I did this with my old Lund that had a kicker motor. Absolutely no blockage and imaging was perfect.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    Buy another Transducer and a y cable put a Transducer on each side of the boat I did this with my old Lund that had a kicker motor. Absolutely no blockage and imaging was perfect.
    what type of unit did you do this with? Any special configurations in the settings? I have a echomap 126sv. My display shows a exact mirror of starboard side sensor on the port side of the display. I think it’s getting such a hard return from hitting the lower unit that it somehow decides to show the starboard image to both sides of the display.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    what type of unit did you do this with? Any special configurations in the settings? I have a echomap 126sv. My display shows a exact mirror of starboard side sensor on the port side of the display. I think it’s getting such a hard return from hitting the lower unit that it somehow decides to show the starboard image to both sides of the display.
    I did it with my hummingbird 1199 it was plug and play no settings to change. I’m not sure on the other brands.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

I had an aluminum with no jackplate and I mounted my side scan transducer under the hull rather than to the transom. It worked flawless. I drilled holes run through the bottom of the boat and used 3m 5200 for sealant thru bolting the transducer.
    Last edited by haus9393; 07-10-2023 at 04:33 PM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    what type of unit did you do this with? Any special configurations in the settings? I have a echomap 126sv. My display shows an exact mirror of starboard side sensor on the port side of the display. I think it’s getting such a hard return from hitting the lower unit that it somehow decides to show the starboard image to both sides of the display.
    Yes it is bouncing off the lower unit. I’ve seen this on boats over the years.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast