Boat and Trailer Rear Ended

Well the title says it all… the new to me 1989 Ranger 363v Bassmaster Classic that I bought no more than 3 weeks ago was rear ended on my way home from the lake. Was only my 3rd trip out in the water. I’m very lost right now on what to do. I have filed a claim with the kid’s, that hit me, insurance company and I’m waiting to hear back from an adjuster.

I’m looking for any advice or experience from anyone with the same issue or really just any information on this process. I’m sure it’s not going to be a fun or short process and I’m sad I can’t get out on the water. The boat doesn’t look very bad but I’m worried the impact may have messed up my lower unit and transom in places that the eye can’t see. The trailer winch stand was bent forward from the impact. Boat slid forward on the front roller and the prop was bent. Motor still turns ( not as good as it was turning ) and it still trims up and down.

Overall, I’m pretty bummed out. Been saving up for a boat since I joined the military in 2020, and have always wanted an 89 ranger since I was a kid. Sucks to have my dream taken always so quickly after being so happy to have purchased the boat. Any help is appreciated! Thank you guys

2. Member
    Did you take it to a reputable shop to get their inspection report?
    Don't leave it to their adjuster's decision.
    I would use your insurance company to deal with them.

3. Member
    I agree, use your insurance and let them collect from the hitter’s insurance.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

Chances area good that your lower unit is bent. Possibly the trim is damaged too. You should have a composite transom, but it's also possible that it has been damaged also. Take it to a reputable boat shop for an analysis. Since it bent the wench post it's possible there is other damage to the boat. Turn all the info you have on the accident and the other drivers info into YOUR insurance co and let them handle it.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    All 3 of you have said to talk to my insurance about it. All I have is an auto policy. I have no policy on the boat. I started a claim with the hitter’s insurance because he was 100% at fault. I will be taking it to a boat inspector to get the repair estimate and if they don’t want to pay that and want to total it then we will have to settle on a price that covers loss and damage. If I can’t get what I want out of them I may talk to my auto insurance to see what I can do from there. Let me know if I’m wrong in this, but this is coming from questions I’ve asked my agents.

6. Member
    If your auto insurance agent is any good, he will advise you on how to proceed. I have asked my agent questions several times. Definitely recommend that you give him a call.

7. Member
    Thank you, I gave them a call and they set me up with what I needed to do moving forward and told me I could call with any questions as the process continues!

8. Member
    Sorry to hear this and hope it get’s worked out to your satisfaction.

I hate this for you. Also, have your tow vehicle inspected for damage from the hitch forward. Had a buddy that got his boat rear-ended and it messed up the frame on his van. Hope you get squared away.

10. Member
    This is a pain as I had this happen to me. Make sure to check the hull thoroughly, as I received a cracked hull from the impact.

11. Member
    I had this happen about 10 years ago. Make sure they inspect the hull thoroughly, as well as the motor. I was lucky and the hull was fine, but the motor had some pretty extensive damage that was not all visible.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. The guy's insurance company, I felt did me right although Ranger stopped making the Intercoastal in the 518 size.
    I would get listings of similar boats for comparisons. Do your homework. Also make sure you make it known that you no longer think your boat is safe due to damage to the transom. If so, make the insurance adjuster state that it is safe, so that you have legal course if a failure does occur, no matter to what degree the failure is.
    Also how is the neck and shoulder pain you are now experiencing?
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Member
    Glad to hear your insurance company is answering your questions. "Most" full-coverage auto policies cover anything attached to your vehicle, if there is an incident (camper, boat, etc). I had something similar year before last where I left my boat tied up at the curtesy dock while I walked up to back the truck/trailer down the ramp (was out by myself that day). Had an inexperienced boater accelerate and hit the back of my new Ranger 2080 (2021 model). Just bought it new the year before. Took a chunk out of the gel-coat and gouged the motor plastic. Thankfully, it was near the end of the season and it spent the winter at my dealer's recommended repair facility. They did an awesome job and no one can tell where it was hit. I did everything through my insurance and they then went after the offenders. Not sure what happened to them. I do know they were all drunk and I had plenty of witnesses from all the bystanders.

14. Member
    Boat insurance is pretty cheap. Might consider getting a policy, especially for on the water incidents.

Call me anytime. I’m close to you and work with a local glass shop on restoration projects. (I own a boat restoration/upholstery shop) I think I can help. Website is below my number is in there. Thanks.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Call me anytime. I’m close to you and work with a local glass shop on restoration projects. (I own a boat restoration/upholstery shop) I think I can help. Website is below my number is in there. Thanks.
    Hey man, I just saw this! Thanks for the reply. Boat is currently in a local shop getting looked at for an estimate. I might just hit you up when I get it back depending on what happens. Thanks for reaching out!