Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anything help with tires slipping on ramp?

Have y'all found any tricks or products that can help eliminate or minimize truck tires slipping on a wet boat ramp? I have a 2 wd truck and a pretty heavy boat. It hasn't been too much of a problem yet but I'd like to be prepared. I know it's going to probably be a when and not an if type of situation when it happens. I've seen products for sand and snow but haven't seen anything for asphalt or concrete.

Thanks

More weight on the rear axle. Add sand bags etc.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Lower your tire pressure

4. Member
    I really don’t know, I just put mine in 4wd. Up here in the snow guys use weight, as mentioned earlier. I can’t think of much else you could do, short of changing tires. That’s certainly not practical.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Let me guess, Goodyear Wrangler tires? If so, get better tires.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

You might be able to move your winch post forward a few inches. Adding tongue weight has always helped in all ways. Most bass boats don't have enough from the factory.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Sand or kitty litter will work.
    They used to keep a 55 gallon drum filled with sand at one of the steep ramps down at Lake Amistad.

8. Member
    Go to Tirerack.com and find a tire for your vehicle that has better wet performance is about the best that I can think of. There have been a few times when the water is up and ramp is slick where I just put my truck in 4wd.

9. Member
    hold brakes on just a little, will cause rear diff to apply force to both axle
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    I don’t know if that’s what my truck is doing, but I pretty much always do this when pulling up the ramp. Hold the brake with my left foot, apply just enough gas with the right to hear the rpms increase then slowly release the brake and it pulls out nice and easy. No slipping, no rolling back, and no goosing it like a rookie.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I don’t know if that’s what my truck is doing, but I pretty much always do this when pulling up the ramp. Hold the brake with my left foot, apply just enough gas with the right to hear the rpms increase then slowly release the brake and it pulls out nice and easy. No slipping, no rolling back, and no goosing it like a rookie.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Let me guess, Goodyear Wrangler tires? If so, get better tires.
    Is it all Goodyear Wrangler tires? I currently running Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs for a summer tire and have no problem on the ramps. I haven’t needed to put it in auto 4wd pulling my boat/trailer up the ramp but my truck has the GM G80 locker rear end.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

13. Member
    This. Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Is it all Goodyear Wrangler tires? I currently running Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs for a summer tire and have no problem on the ramps. I haven’t needed to put it in auto 4wd pulling my boat/trailer up the ramp but my truck has the GM G80 locker rear end.
    I do not think all Wrangler tires but the majority of people slipping on the ramps had Wrangler AT with a few HT. I always look ever since a buddy had Wranglers and his slipped bad.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. Member
    The right differential with 2WD is key. I have a 06 Tahoe with the 3.73 differential. Rarely have any issues. As others have said get some weight on the back tires. I’ve helped a few times by standing on the rear bumper as they pulled the boat out.

16. Member
    Weight in the bed is your friend. I used to have a cabover camper and used some greasy ramps.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    The right differential with 2WD is key. I have a 06 Tahoe with the 3.73 differential. Rarely have any issues. As others have said get some weight on the back tires. I’ve helped a few times by standing on the rear bumper as they pulled the boat out.
    Your 3.73 was probably Limited-Slip, which is what probably works for most people. There was one time with the ramp icing up where my LS wasn't enough and ended up putting my truck in 4-Hi because the front tires weren't quite as wet.

18. Member
    Water is now dropping 3-4 inches a week. Water close to 80 degrees. Ramps can be very slimy. Someone loses a truck under water every summer at Lakeport ramp .4x4 and don’t get front wheels in the slime

Holding the parking brake is better. The service brake are going to be biased toward the front which will require more throttle to overcome them and may make the issue worse. Think about it, you can do a burnout with by holding the brakes while gassing it. The parking brake is only applied to the rear wheels. Of course, if you have a well functioning limited slip differential and both wheels are already spinning, this will not help.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Holding the parking brake is better. The service brake are going to be biased toward the front which will require more throttle to overcome them and may make the issue worse. Think about it, you can do a burnout with by holding the brakes while gassing it. The parking brake is only applied to the rear wheels. Of course, if you have a well functioning limited slip differential and both wheels are already spinning, this will not help.
    Thats the way I was told to do it as a teenager. Worked for years before I started buying 4 wheel drive trucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast