Oil alarm. Vesselview states low oil onboard tank HELP

2012 Mercury 250 Pro XS SN 1B917123. Had a low oil alarm go off. Filled remote tank to 3/4. Ran motor with cowling off and unscrewed onboard oil tank cap about 2 turns. Oil seeped out of tank while in the water and level (I didn't make a mess, had rags on hand). Still getting low oil fault with loud alarm and message on vesselview mobile stating onboard tank is critically low. Checked tank again and it is 100%full. Can it be the sensor on top of the tank or do I need to replace the whole tank? Code 714-21

2. Member
    The sensors on those tanks are infamous for failing. Eventually they deteriorate and won't float any more. My understanding is that the tank assembly will need to be replaced if this is the case.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-06-2023 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Service Manual (Avoid Tube Vids)

3. Member
    complete tank replacement required
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Unfortunately I had the same issue recently. And have a new tank on order.

5. Member
    On a 2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

When mine did that it was the sensor in the oil tank on the motor. It's built into the tank so you can't just replace the sensor, you have to do the whole tank.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As Joe suggested- Engine Mounted (Reserve) oil tank assembly will need to be replaced. The sensor itself seldom fails... but wise to replace both at the same time.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor