Thread: Fitting

Fitting

Didnt want to hijack vandamit’s post on his clubs but am curious to get an idea of how to choose where/who to get fitted by and club (brand) selection. See a lot about the PXG’s these days, know Pings are first class, etc etc. I’m hitting a 15 year old set of Ideas that I bought off the shelf when i first started. 62 now and shoot mid to high 80’s. Any good ideas on pickin the fitter?
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Fishing is a Passion
    https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/st...homa/1245.html.

If you cannot wait, Call around, there are probably many local golf shops with fitting machines and fitters, Will cost $50-$125

We are the same age. I looked at the Wilson Staff D9 clubs. The Tour Edge Irons and The Taylormade Irons. Great experience at the PGA Superstore
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    Suggestion - while it is OK to have a specific brand in mind , allow the fitting session to help guide you to what you hit the best.
    I've done it twice in the last 10 years.... first time I was hard headed about wanting Taylormade..... the fitting results said I hit them ok but another brand the numbers were better, marginally.
    The second fitting (most recent 2021) I went in with a clearer head and looked at the numbers.... Ping and Mizuno were neck and neck..... I wanted the Ping but would have had to wait an extra 8 weeks to get them........ The Mizunos are great and glad I picked them.
    The most recent fitting session I chose Golftec because they are not a "big box" store... they fit and sell, plus they give quality lessons. Nothing against the others, but I feel they are a notch above in the fitting experience.
    You have a Golftec in OK city...... Good Luck!

4. Member
    I turned 40 last month and my wife said buy whatever you want... so I said I wanted some new sticks. I went to club champion (not the cheapest option fyi). I got a full bag fitting even though I knew I was keeping my driver and fairways.

The first thing I'll say is have a budget in mind. Try as many different brands as time will allow. You will quickly see which one you like and don't and can eliminate the bad.

Once you get a top 3 or 4 then start finding the best shaft options. Unless you get an exotic shaft (I went oban ct) you can save money by taking your specs and ordering direct from the manufacturer.

I ended up going with taylormade P790's, Cleveland RTX 6 wedges and cobra putter. A mixed bag to go along with m my ping driver and cobra fairways but it's what I hit the best.

I had a bad experience with Club Champion, and a couple people I know experienced the same.

I like Golf Galaxy for fittings.

Side note - the shafts in your clubs matter 10x more than the actual clubhead.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    I recently had a fitting with the PGA Superstore Studio, it was a good experience, if i could do one thing differently, i would split up the fitting for a lunch break or something, i was fitted for irons, driver, fairway, and wedges, i think it was about 4 hours total, very tiring hitting that many balls. I had two sets of irons in mind and ended up with something that wasn't on my list at all, my iron yardage distance had started to suffer lately and after the fitting i ended up switching from steel steel shafts to graphite regular flex shafts, the irons i went with are the Mizuno JPX 923 forged with the UST 95 Recoil shafts.

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Get fit outside on grass using the balls you play with.

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougN68 View Post
    with the UST 95 Recoil shafts.
    I am 63 but ended up with the 110 recoils in stiff in my ping 525s
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

9. Member
    I got fitted at PXG last year. I was there over 2 hours, them guys about wore me out hitting balls.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I am 63 but ended up with the 110 recoils in stiff in my ping 525s
    I could have went with either flex, i hit the regular flex 8-10 yards further, but i did end up using stiff Recoils in the PW, GW, SW, & LW.