Heavy flouro to braid knot

I am going to put 80 lb test fluoro leaders on a couple of outfits where I am losing too many baits to pike/musky like jackhammers. Question I have is that I would rather tie a short leader onto the braid without a swivel or snap. Have you had any problems with tying heavy fluoro to braid with a knot like an alberto or double uni or is the leader material just too thick?

2. Member
    Leader material is too thick. I bought some 60lb test flouro to do the same thing you are going to do, and even that 60lb test is too thick. I wound up getting some of these to create my own leaders: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/amer...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. Member
    FG knot. I've personally only tested it up to 50lb mono but it came from saltwater use on heavy lines. I eventually resorted to using short nylon coated wire leaders which tie up easy.

4. Member
    Try steel cable. It's sold in extremely small diameters. I use it for pickerel. I can get you a name after work if you can't find it.

5. Member
    you can tie 80 Fluro to braid with no problem. 3-4 turn on Fluro side and 7-10 on braid. You can also look into wind-on leaders, you can cast those. if you are really serious, replace your braid with hollow-core and splice fluro into your hollow-core.

I surf fish and use 50# braid and tie to 80# fluoro. FG knot works fine with this combo