Broken drain plug

Pulled my RT198 after having it on a lift for the last month and found that the tab on my drain plug has broken off flush with the back of the plug so I can't unscrew it. Guess I will have to cut a slot in it when I get home so I can get a screwdriver in it to get it out. Don't know if I should install a remote drain plug or just order a replacement. Anyone install a remote that they are happy with?

2. Member
    I'm on my 4th season with the Flow-Rite (splashwell-mounted operator). Zero issues in close to 400 days on the water, and I open it every time I haul out.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    I'm on my 4th season with the Flow-Rite (splashwell-mounted operator). Zero issues in close to 400 days on the water, and I open it every time I haul out.
    Was it difficult to install?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Was it difficult to install?
    Nope - just had to consider the bilge obstructions to be certain I'd have a straight shot to the drain. A little apprehensive about taking a holesaw to the fiberglass (dull saw, run in reverse FTW), but I get paid to cut holes in other peoples expensive property everyday, so that didn't last too long.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

My 2016 flowrite still working great…I lube with this stuff, bit of a pricey one time purchase, the absolute best lube for this application.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    My 2016 flowrite still working great…I lube with this stuff, bit of a pricey one time purchase, the absolute best lube for this application.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Go to swimming pool place and get silicone lube cheaper and works great 12 bucks it is made for rubber o ring seals

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Pulled my RT198 after having it on a lift for the last month and found that the tab on my drain plug has broken off flush with the back of the plug so I can't unscrew it. Guess I will have to cut a slot in it when I get home so I can get a screwdriver in it to get it out. Don't know if I should install a remote drain plug or just order a replacement. Anyone install a remote that they are happy with?
    Heat a flat beaded screwdriver blade till it turns red then push it into the plug. Hold it in place till it cools, then screw the plug out with the screwdriver still melted into it.

My Flo-Rite Remote Drain is awesome !! Being on the backside of 70, I don't bend as easy anymore, and this is a great addition !! I mounted it in the bilge just under the lid using a Trailer Plug Bracket, lubed the "O" ring with the lube from a Pool Supply, and it works great !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    My Flo-Rite Remote Drain is awesome !! Being on the backside of 70, I don't bend as easy anymore, and this is a great addition !! I mounted it in the bilge just under the lid using a Trailer Plug Bracket, lubed the "O" ring with the lube from a Pool Supply, and it works great !!
    Where did you get your trailer plug bracket? I got the plug out using the heated flat head screwdriver trick alanhore suggested, thanks, remote drain plug is ordered.