Airbags on SuperDuty

Anybody have airbags installed on SuperDuty? My mother in law bought a F350 single wheel to pull her living quarters horse trailer. Has me curious if I should have her put airbags on it. The more simple and issue free the better with her haha

2. Member
    I have an f150 and put the Firestone bags on mine. They work great and have been trouble free, very easy to install.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I have a 250 and put Air Lift on mine. Hardest part was cutting of the factory jounce bumpers. That was a killer.

The biggest function they have is to keep your headlights from blinding other drivers and reducing chucking. The don’t transfer weight forward or increase load capacity.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I towed a 42' 5th wheel with an F350 for 5 years and it didn't have airbags. The springs on that thing were pretty stiff and the truck rode level when the trailer was packed properly.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I have a 250 and put Air Lift on mine. Hardest part was cutting of the factory jounce bumpers. That was a killer.

The biggest function they have is to keep your headlights from blinding other drivers and reducing chucking. The don’t transfer weight forward or increase load capacity.
    The jounce bumpers must be different on the super dutys as they were simple to remove on my f150. One bolt held them in place.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    The jounce bumpers must be different on the super dutys as they were simple to remove on my f150. One bolt held them in place.
    One bolt is all there was on mine. Nearly impossible to reach and rusted securely in place. I ended up borrowing a compact recip saw to cut them. No other tool could reach it.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    One bolt is all there was on mine. Nearly impossible to reach and rusted securely in place. I ended up borrowing a compact recip saw to cut them. No other tool could reach it.
    Gotcha, I installed my bags the week I bought my truck, so there was no rust.

8. Member
    Fwiw I have had bags on my last 2 trucks, they are just 1/2 tons but lifted. I find that having the bags also makes the ride a lot better. With the lift kits I’ve installed the ride is much harsher, the bags really help soften it up. I don’t mean while towing, just everyday driving. Not sure how much it would help on a bigger truck but the principal is the same, so I would think it would.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

9. Member
    I have a buddy that bought airbags for his F250 and he installed them in his driveway. I don't think he even changes his own oil, so it must not be too difficult...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

I have them on my F150 when we used to tow a travel trailer....didn't think you needed them on the F250 and up.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    I have them on my F150 when we used to tow a travel trailer....didn't think you needed them on the F250 and up.
    If you tow almost all of the time, you can aim the headlights down and do without. If the springs didn’t sag with a couple thousand pounds of weight, the truck would rattle your teeth loose on even a small bump when it was empty.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    I have them on mine, I enjoy having it. It just makes the ride nicer while towing and you can level the truck out. Guys are right, it doesn't transfer weight per se. I did mine more for ride comfort. I have the manual fill ones and they are just fine by me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2006 Ranger 521 svx
    2006 Evinrude Etec E225DHLSDF #05135216

(Dads)
    1995 Champion 202
    1997 Johnson Venom 200STLEUB SN# G04338914 Built 4/97

If you tow almost all of the time, you can aim the headlights down and do without. If the springs didn’t sag with a couple thousand pounds of weight, the truck would rattle your teeth loose on even a small bump when it was empty.
    Thank you for explanation.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

14. Member
    Some of my trailers have 2500+ pounds of tongue weight so I put air lift 5000 on my F350. I have always ran bags on all my trucks. Got the best life out of the Air lift bags. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

15. Member
    just finished putting a set of Air Lift 5000 bags on my 22' F350 dually about 30 minutes ago ... I also have a set of Firestone bags on my 99' F350 Dually ... Install isnt that bad . about 4 hours for me on the floor on my back (no lift in my garage ) .. My 32' bumper pull race car hauler has so much tongue weight with the extended tongue , that it will cause lot of bouncing over bumps that the bags eliminate ...the 53'gooseneck living qtrs I had didnt bounce at all so I really wouldnt need the bags with it ...but they are well worth the money... I had a small compressor on the frame and a switch/gauge setup under the dash so I could change pressure/ride while driving..