Rigging grommet issues

I'm having an issue on my rigging grommet. The angle is such that it pulls the retainer sleeve off of the rubber grommet that is attached to the outboard when the motor is turned right (boat turning left). Has anyone else seen this issue?

With the location of the rigging coming out of the splashwell side it's difficult to get a neutral angle. I can't really extend or shorten the rigging from what I can see, but maybe it's possible.

I'm debating on doing away with the rigid tube and replacing with a neoprene or nylon wrap to allow for more flex.

Attached Thumbnails
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    If you are depending on that ziptie to keep the tube on you may be in for a long disappointing experience. Maybe some boats like yours can succeed with it but I'd put a screw hose clamp there and see how it works.

My boat is old and nasty with lots of scars, but this cover is butt ugly.

https://www.amazon.com/T-H-48-Inch-Z.../dp/B000N9W006
    Last edited by billnorman1; 06-08-2023 at 08:20 PM.

3. Member
    I bought ~26-inch version similar to 'T-H marine zippered rigging sleeve' many years ago (90's?).
    Last edited by tj; 06-12-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If you are depending on that ziptie to keep the tube on you may be in for a long disappointing experience. Maybe some boats like yours can succeed with it but I'd put a screw hose clamp there and see how it works.
    I agree the hose clamp will hold better but I think the main problem is the angle of the tube/grommet.

5. Member
    Chris - I sent you a private message.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

6. Member
    I'm having the same problem. When you get this fixed please post what you did.

7. Member
    Same problem here as well

8. Member
    Used a TH Marine troll tamer, worked well. I used the stock collar to keep it attached to the grommet. In hindsight I should've left the hard tubing a little longer coming out of the splashwell as I will likely get water in there now coming off plane. I'll have to address that but otherwise I think it's an improvement and it looks clean.

Motor4.jpg

9. Member
    Its a known issue with the SHO motors. You need to adjust the length of the rigging tube by screwing out it where it goes into the boat as long as there is enough tube, then secure with a hose clamp. I think you are going to need to make the tube longer by twisting it counter clockwise.

While you are in there you need to look at where the fuel line connects to the nipple. Yamaha only uses a zip tie to secure it to the nipple. If your rigging tube is pulling off the fuel line in the tube is probably getting in a bind and can pull off.
    Last edited by Gsmith223; 06-12-2023 at 10:02 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Its a known issue with the SHO motors. You need to adjust the length of the rigging tube by screwing out it where it goes into the boat as long as there is enough tube, then secure with a hose clamp. I think you are going to need to make the tube longer by twisting it counter clockwise.

While you are in there you need to look at where the fuel line connects to the nipple. Yamaha only uses a zip tie to secure it to the nipple. If your rigging tube is pulling off the fuel line in the tube is probably getting in a bind and can pull off.
    There was no additonal tubing to adjust. Also it looked like the fuel was connected using an otiker style crimp ring, maybe they changed recently?