Winch stand set too low?

I have a 2010 294xle Stratos and after 10 years now wonder if my winch stand is too low? The boat sits flat on the bunks and is a bear to unload off the trailer unless I'm pretty deep in the water. Also the boat barely clears the spare tire? Will it help if I raise it up and if so how high? The trailer is armor coated and I'm not sure about breaking that loose.

20230607_210621.jpg

2. Member
    looks about right to me. mine was low and the boat had to be pulled down to get the eye to hit the roller. if you release the winch does the nose rise up off of the roller? if not it is ok likely.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    might ask in the stratos area below also i had one for over 20 yrs
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Your front roller should make the front of the boat rise slightly off the tips of the bunks, at least mine does. It should require tilting the motor to protect the prop and to raise the nose for the last foot or so of travel. You may be tired of hearing this but i'm 80 and get my Stratos 20 foot Pro Elite on the trailer and pulled out in less than 5 minutes by myself.

Pull your wench strap all the way out and then wind it back so that it comes back on from the bottom of the wench instead of the top.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    If it’s right you should be able to straddle the trailer and pick the boat up with considerable effort and clear the roller. The roller should not support the boat. You want just enough weight on the roller to keep it from bouncing going down the highway.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If the winch stand was too low, the boat wouldn’t touch it. If the winch stand was gone, it wouldn’t affect launching the boat, so look elsewhere for your problem. If the bow of the boat goes down when loading or launching, you are too deep.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If the winch stand was too low, the boat wouldn’t touch it. If the winch stand was gone, it wouldn’t affect launching the boat, so look elsewhere for your problem. If the bow of the boat goes down when loading or launching, you are too deep.
    what he said.
    If the ramp is steep or you are too deep -- thats why good trailers have rollers in the center.