Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid Tow Vehicle.

Anyone tow with a full-sized truck that is a hybrid? How does it perform towing and what are your gas mileage savings? Has it been pretty durable?

2. Member
    I'm expecting very few responses other than this one

3. Member
    I really thought by now we would b in Jetson cars.

4. Member
    I’ve got an f150 hybrid. Tows great, a decent power bump over the regular 3.5. Fuel savings are next to zero while towing or highway driving though. But city mileage is solid around town, usually 20+ mpg.

I only have 12k miles so far, so too early to tell for reliability. I’m a little worried about the hybrid transmission, early models had issues. If I was buying new again I’m not sure I’d go for the hybrid or not.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    I have a 2022 Ford Powerboost hybrid. Same experience as Mcjenson, no benefit as far as fuel economy towing or highway versus my previous 3.5 eco boosts, however I drive mostly two lane and around town the majority of the time and the Powerboost is much better in that regard. ~24 versus ~18.

6. Member
    Interested in this topic, looking at hybrid F-150 and hopefully Ford will release the Expedition hybrid sometime later this year or next year.

7. Member
    I would get a regular gas V8, sounds the best and lasts the longest.

8. Member
    I run a pretty large chevy Buick GMC Cadillac store in iowa. We deliver all over the country. Feel free to reach out if I can help. Even if it’s just to ask advice. -James

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    What makes a truck a hybrid?

It's one thing to have a hybrid car. A small battery to supplement a small ice engine. With a truck we need more. Added systems makes for more possible failures. And what do you gain for those added risk failures, plus added costs. Probably not worth it, IMO. Stick with an ice truck for the time being. In a few years, 2025 or so, we should start getting some EV trucks that might be of interest to most truck buyers.
    Thanos was the hero

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    What makes a truck a hybrid?

It's one thing to have a hybrid car. A small battery to supplement a small ice engine.
    Yeah, that's what I think of as a hybrid. Does anyone make a full size hybrid truck?

With a truck we need more. Added systems makes for more possible failures. And what do you gain for those added risk failures, plus added costs. Probably not worth it, IMO. Stick with an ice truck for the time being. In a few years, 2025 or so, we should start getting some EV trucks that might be of interest to most truck buyers.
    Until someone cracks the energy storage issue, I don't see a useful EV full size truck in our future. There has been untold piles of money invested at universities, gov and private businesses trying to solve that one over the last 20-30 years and we have very little to show for it, so I'm not optimistic about it.
    John

My hybrid does not help when towing still 10mpg.

12. Member
    Check out the specs on this EV truck HP, tow weight, etc.with 100 mile's in 10 min. charging. https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/silverado-ev

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    Yeah, that's what I think of as a hybrid. Does anyone make a full size hybrid truck?

Until someone cracks the energy storage issue, I don't see a useful EV full size truck in our future. There has been untold piles of money invested at universities, gov and private businesses trying to solve that one over the last 20-30 years and we have very little to show for it, so I'm not optimistic about it.
    Ford and toyota both make hybrids

14. Member
    Surprised nobody on here has a new Tundra Hybrid, I'm sure someone like Swindle or KVD has on since they typically run the higher trims although KVD told me at the Toyota Owner's Tournament that he gets a new truck every 2 years so he could have gotten his before the Hybrid was released.

15. Member
    The hybrid scheme really shines in stop and go or slow speed driving. Not so much on long trips or highways. Wife has a Highlander hybrid with the 3.5 liter motor in it. Best I ever have seen it get was 33 mpg in town and that much again on the highway. We don't tow with it and when she drives it............you would never know it is a hybrid. 80% of my driving is on the highway so that is where my Baby D'max Yukon shines. EV's will have their place but to wait more than 20 minutes to charge to get a hundred miles while towing is just not practical for us right now.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Surprised nobody on here has a new Tundra Hybrid, I'm sure someone like Swindle or KVD has on since they typically run the higher trims although KVD told me at the Toyota Owner's Tournament that he gets a new truck every 2 years so he could have gotten his before the Hybrid was released.
    For those guys where the vast majority of their driving is highway / towing, I don't think it'd be worth the added expense / complexity.

17. Member
    Thanks for the inputs. Sounds like hybrids are no go at this point in time.

18. Member
    I have the Ford hybrid and defiantly notice a difference towing. I get 16 to 18 mpg towing my boat. I couldn't get that not towing with my old truck. Plus i have a 7.2 kw generator to power my house.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    My hybrid does not help when towing still 10mpg.

Don't feel too bad, my 02 5.9 Ram got 10 tops. Empty or full

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    I have the Ford hybrid and defiantly notice a difference towing. I get 16 to 18 mpg towing my boat. I couldn't get that not towing with my old truck. Plus i have a 7.2 kw generator to power my house.
    Do you tow in normal mode or tow/haul?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast