Spinning rod/reel recommendations

I'm not planning on purchasing right now since I want to spend some time and make sure I want to pursue this more, but I'm trying to up my finesse game. I only have one spinning rod/reel combo and it works just fine, but it's on the cheaper side (Powell Diesel rod and Abu Garcia Orra spinning reel). I have higher end casting rods/reels, but don't think I want to make the leap directly from cheaper to higher end right away. So I think I'd like to keep the budget around $400-$500 (or less) for the rod and reel combined. This combo would be used mainly for drop shot and wacky rigged senkos. I want to keep the rod in the 6'10 - 7'3" length since I fish from a kayak a lot and don't want anything longer than 7'3". I'd be using braid (15-20lb) to leader (6-10lb) for everything. And, if it matters, I'm mainly targeting largemouth in 15' of water or less (no deep water fishing for smallies). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Member
    I would recommend a 3000 sized Vanford reel and a 7ft medium or medium light Shimano Zodias rod. I have several and
    use them for Kayak as well as bass boat fishing. Excellent value for the money. I love these with 10 power pro braid and 8lb flouro leader.

3. Member
    Performance/sensitivity wise, it's hard to beat a Trika rod at this "400-500 total" price point. They look rather utilitarian and aren't the lightest, but you get very, very good sensitivity and a well-balanced rod for $300. For what you describe, I'd go with the 7'0" Medium spinning rod, it's soft yet powerful enough for senkos, and light & sensitive enough for dropshots (not ideal, just very good - a combined senko/DS rod will always be a bit of a compromise). Because you're fishing for largemouth mostly, I'd invest more money into the rod and not so much in the reel (don't need the best drag in the world, just something that works well). I'd probably buy a 2500 Shimano Miravel for $130 - visually it pairs well with the Trika, and it does a greay job at the price point.

Whole combo comes in at $430 before taxes.

Just an opinion - you'll get 20 different ones :) I wouldn't mind fishing that combo every day of the week. I still have a whole bunch of Powell Infernos (might still be the same blank as the Diesels) and can tell you that the Trika would be a major upgrade. I have a bunch of high-end rods (NRX, Steez, P5s etc.) and the Trika isn't far removed from the performance you get with those rods. On the reel side, the Miravel isn't in the same league as an Exists or Stella (of course), but it's a very good reel for everyday largemouth fishing.

4. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have to say I've been very intrigued with the Trika rods and actually thought about getting one of the casting models, but right now my casting lineup is set. I was actually just on their website last week looking at the spinning rods. I do realize I won't find one rod that is great at both drop shot and a wacky senko, but I'm pretty used to that since my casting rods are all multi-use too. I only carry 5 rods with me in my kayak so versatility is vital for me.

5. Member
    St Croix Legend Tournament LBTS71MF with a Stradic 2500 reel would be my bet.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    St Croix Legend Tournament LBTS71MF with a Stradic 2500 reel would be my bet.
    ^^^^This^^^^

There's no doubt I'd go with the new 2023 Daiwa Tatula MQ 3000CXH. The more I use this reel the more impressed with it I am.

The rod is a little bit more tricky considering the finesse oriented drop shot to the not so finesse full sized 5" wacky rigged Senko. The Megabass XX Whipsnake is an awesome finesse oriented rod that handles a drop shot like a champ, but a full 5" wacky rigged senko doesn't feel "right" on it to me. The XX Ronin is a great 5" Senko rod, but a little on the stout side for finesse drop shots. The XX Shaky Head is somewhere in between and capable of doing both adequately.

The Daiwa Rebellion 701MLFS is another fantastic rod at that $200 price point that's worthy of your consideration. The whole Rebellion series is still more under the radar than they deserve. They're among the best $200 rods on the market.

8. Member
    I'll definitely take a look at the St. Croix rod...kind of forget about them sometimes since it's been a long time since I owned a St. Croix rod.

Gary, I'll take a strong look at the Daiwa Tatula reel you mentioned. I know the rod is going to be tougher and I'm not looking for a rod that will be great at both the drop shot and the wacky rigged senko since I'm just not sure that rod exists. I think a lot of what I wind up getting with regards to the rod will depend on how the rest of this season goes with using the drop shot. If I fall in love with using it then I think I'll lean towards a rod that is better suited at the drop shot than the wacky rig since I already have a medium light casting rod that I know I can throw the wacky rig on if need be. However, if I'm just not feeling it with the drop shot then I'll probably lean more towards a rod that it better suited to the wacky rig since I know I fish that quite a bit. I've owned the Ronin before and it was great for jerkbaits, but I just didn't care for it for other things...just seemed a lot more stout, especially with it being a shorter rod, than what I want in a spinning rod. I love Megabass rods though, so I'll take a look at the Whipsnake and the Shaky Head. Just in case I do decide to up the budget a bit, which of the P5 rods do you think would be the best? The Windbuster?

Loomis IMX Pro 842/843 with a Shimano Stradic 2500 HG. I didn't like the 840 and 841. Just too whippy for me.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    I've been impressed with my iRod Air 6101S. It's a 6' 10" ML, ridiculously light. Fantastic dropshot rod, haven't tried a wacky rig senko on it. They make a 722S that's slightly more powerful (and 7'2" so just under your max length) that I bet would be perfect for everything. But since it's for finesse, the lower price would let you get a better reel like a Vanford or Patriarch with a better drag for the light leaders. And lifetime warranty/no fault replacement like Loomis has. iRods are seriously underrated, IMO.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPrich View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^
    X3 only I'd go daiwa tatula mq

12. Member
    Expride B medium light spinning and a vanford

13. Member
    You can't beat a 7ft medium for an all-purpose spinning setup. I'd go jdm on the reel, you can get a shimano stradic 2500 for about $150 right now. With your budget I'd go expride or st croix legend tournament on the rod.

14. Member
    Tatula reel as many have said and a Phenix feather medium 7 1. It's by far the most sensitive rod under 200 IMO- matches GLX. The 7 1 m is between an ML and M. I find most M spinning rods to be too heavy to be drop shot rods. It has enough backbone for wacky senkos but not ideal. Only downside is CS, which is the worst of any company I've experienced. It also has a reel seat that not everyone likes. At around 350, you'll have an combo that competes with almost anything out there regardless of price.

I like my ALX rods. They do run around $260. The "Trickster" might be a good fit for you - sensitive tip for DS but also will work for other techniques.

The Trickster serves as a catch all rod with an emphasis on mid-weight finesse presentations. It’s adept at drop shots, light shakey heads and even small topwaters or cranks. The design of the rod blank is focused more on a power with a finesse tip for the right type of bait presentation.

I have seen a few sales on Stradics lately, maybe the current model is being phased out, but keep an eye open for them.

16. Member
    Just wanted to give a follow up. I wound up purchasing an Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier 6'10" ML rod from a fellow BBC'er and then purchased a Shimano Vanford 2500 from The Tackle Trap. I decided to go with the Vanford over the Stradic simply because the Vanford weighs 1.6 ounces less and I felt it would just make the overall combo feel very light in hand. Going to spool it up with some 12lb Sunline X Plasma Asegai braid to an 8lb Seaguar Blue Label leader. Should have them by next weekend and hopefully will get out and give them a try. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I was planning to go with the St. Croix or Trika until I saw the Abu rod for sale and decided to give it a try. I'm sure it won't be ideal for wacky rigged senkos, but it should handle them ok and it should be a really good drop shot rod.