Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Casting to way points

Ok I have i-Pilot link and have a heading sensor and casting rings set up at 80 feet but still have trouble hitting the way points.

I do not have any kind of livescope

I run helix units, I’m zoomed in all the way at the bow when trying to hit waypoints

what can I do to improve this

2. Member
    Go make a waypoint at a visible buoy or corner of a dock. Back off and make a cast to see if it’s you or the machine.

You could also change the location ping speed to max to make sure your current location is current.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Go make a waypoint at a visible buoy or corner of a dock. Back off and make a cast to see if it’s you or the machine.

You could also change the location ping speed to max to make sure your current location is current.
    Location ping sounds huge I didn’t even know about this. Is this common?

4. Member
    Before I got livescope, my estimate of casting distance was way off. What I learned is 50’ isn’t really that far. I bet you’re just misjudging the distance. Also, make sure your front bow graph is reading location from the bow and your console graph that you’re making waypoints on is using a location closest to the transom transducer. Either graph using a gps location from the wrong spot on the boat can put you off a lot.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Before I got livescope, my estimate of casting distance was way off. What I learned is 50’ isn’t really that far. I bet you’re just misjudging the distance. Also, make sure your front bow graph is reading location from the bow and your console graph that you’re making waypoints on is using a location closest to the transom transducer. Either graph using a gps location from the wrong spot on the boat can put you off a lot.
    how can I make sure it’s reading my location from the bow I’m assuming its reading it from the i-Pilot link puck in the back currently.
    Are there any good videos on this?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    how can I make sure it’s reading my location from the bow I’m assuming its reading it from the i-Pilot link puck in the back currently.
    Are there any good videos on this?
    I’d ask on the Humminbird forum. I’ve got Lowrance and in the settings you can pick whether you want gps read from the puck or the unit itself. Console graph should be on the puck which should be on the transom. Bow graph should be from the unit itself for gps location, but heading should be from the puck since the graph doesn’t have a heading sensor. At least the Lowrance graphs don’t.

7. Member
    External gps will automatically be chosen, on the graph that it is connected to, or at leasts it was on my Solix’s. You can choose to read off the heading sensor, or internal gps on the other graph(s) on the network.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

8. Member
    A buoy marker works great too.

9. Banned
    thats where livescope helps. say youre casting to a brush pile. your waypoint could be off 3, 4 5 feet. with livescope you can actually scan and find exactly where it is

10. Member
    So when using the Ultrex link feature with the Helix it will default to using the GPS and heading sensor from the trolling motor when the trolling motor is deployed. I have the same issue, I went rounds with HB over this but as far as I know this hasnt been fixed.

11. Member
    get the heading sensor for each graph. once I got livesscope this became so much easier though. 50' isn't much just a little over 2 boat lenghts

12. Member
    As previously stated Livescope will completely change how you view distance to objects on a body of water. I was way off. Get Livescope and you'll never miss another target.

13. #FRB
    I'll still occasionally drop a marker buoy especially at night even with Livescope. Sometimes it's nice to just fish instead of looking down at a screen the whole time.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    Location ping sounds huge I didn’t even know about this. Is this common?
    I have Lowrance, so I’m not sure where it would be in hummingbird. You may ask on the hummingbird forum, but it should be under a gps or satellite tab. You can change the distance between gps pings from 1 minute down to 1 second.

15. Member
    I've been night-time brush pile fishing for 35+ years who began using flashers and triangulation to find sunken targets. First, if you're casting to a specific target (brush pile) you may be missing it because your waypoint is off by a little or a lot and it doesn't matter how close you are to it. If your waypoint was set from the console, then depending on your boat length you are a certain number of feet away from what you marked while fishing from the bow. Once I installed 'point one' antennas I quit using marker buoys and would just cast to the icon marking the pile, still hit and miss but it considerably improved the percentages. As said previously, Livescope has made this even easier. It always amazed me how long it took to hit some piles even after driving over them, seeing them on the sonar, and dropping a buoy.

16. Member
    Do you guys think it would be easier to cast accurately to a brush or rock pile with FFS or 360?
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

Quote Originally Posted by Iowabass3826 View Post
    Do you guys think it would be easier to cast accurately to a brush or rock pile with FFS or 360?
    100%
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

18. Member
    Ask Wayne on humminbird forum. He’s the expert. Great guy!

19. Member
    Your gps your graph is linked to must be directly over the transducer. If not you way point will be off by that difference. Also when marking a way point make sure you take your time and put the way point on the bottom of the lake and exactly in the middle of the object. If the object is rather large I mark the middle and 4 outer points. You way point is also not in a straight line distance from you. It will be much closer than you think due to the water depth accounts for your line calc. It took me some time to figure this out after I properly set up my gps pucks. Now I can hit a target very consistently.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

Get a Mega 360 and you will hit your waypoints often.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast