Newbie to Tracker boats. Looking for advice.

Hello all.
    I am looking to get back into a bass boat here in Arizona and am retiring soon and looking to get a nice used Tracker. But, I am new to Trackers and am looking at 2 (Used) Tracker Pro Team 175 models.

Update below. Picked up the 2004 PT 175 and it is great.
    Last edited by 77mmbass; 06-13-2023 at 12:33 AM.

Get the motor checked out on both, 20 year old motor on the 2002. If that one checks out, i'd lean that way.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

3. Member
    Thanks. I've checked out the motor on the 02 and it has been well maintained. Haven't gone through the 09. The owner doesn't have any records and he has owned the boat for 2 years, did his own maintenance.

4. Member
    Best advice I can give you is the same advice I got years ago when looking for a bass boat. DO NOT get an underpowered boat, I would pass on either one of those you mentioned because they are underpowered, a Tracker 175 needs at least a 75hp motor on it.

5. Member
    I believe the 2002 has a narrower beam, I'm not sure when the boat was widened, if it was widened by much, or if it was just an "Adjustment" to the measurement.

6. #FRB
    If the motor checks out I'd get the 2002 model because the way it sounds that boat was the original owner's baby for 22 years. As long as you don't care about top speed that 60hp will be fine on it. Should get mid 30's out of it pretty easy. I remember when a 50hp was the standard motor on the 175 hull so that 60hp could very well be an upgrade from what it originally had if it's been repowered at some point.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    If the motor checks out I'd get the 2002 model because the way it sounds that boat was the original owner's baby for 22 years. As long as you don't care about top speed that 60hp will be fine on it. Should get mid 30's out of it pretty easy. I remember when a 50hp was the standard motor on the 175 hull so that 60hp could very well be an upgrade from what it originally had if it's been repowered at some point.
    A bigger motor like a 75 has a lot more benefits than just top speed.

8. Member
    Just looked at the number plate on the back of the 2002. The year the owner told me is wrong. It's actually a 2004.

9. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    A bigger motor like a 75 has a lot more benefits than just top speed.
    I know, but a lot of people don't care.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Go with the 60 hp 4 stroke. I had a 175 with a 50 hp and did just fine.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater 2 View Post
    Go with the 60 hp 4 stroke. I had a 175 with a 50 hp and did just fine.
    I was originally planning on a 50hp at least. There's a few around here and they seem to he just fine.
    So the 2004 with a 60hp and in great shape is the way I will go. We don't have a lot of wide open water here. More colorado river back waters through Tule channels. So I don't need to race to a fishing spot.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I know, but a lot of people don't care.
    Or they don't know any better. Also that is a bit high for 9K. I paid less than that for my 2010 with a 90hp on it.

13. Member
    I would pass on the 2009. As you describe it you'll probably be looking at replacing the wood decking on the front deck and cockpit area in addition to all else you describe. On the 2004 the wood is probably going to be good (I had a '87 model whose wood lasted 27 years).

As for the 60 HP on the 2004 it will get you on plane and keep you there. You'll lose 4-5 MPH and some hole shot vs. a 75 HP but if you're not one of those who need the speed the 60 can serve you well. I do think the price is high on the 2004 but compare it to your local market, not what someone spent several states away.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

14. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    I would pass on the 2009. As you describe it you'll probably be looking at replacing the wood decking on the front deck and cockpit area in addition to all else you describe. On the 2004 the wood is probably going to be good (I had a '87 model whose wood lasted 27 years).

As for the 60 HP on the 2004 it will get you on plane and keep you there. You'll lose 4-5 MPH and some hole shot vs. a 75 HP but if you're not one of those who need the speed the 60 can serve you well. I do think the price is high on the 2004 but compare it to your local market, not what someone spent several states away.
    Or what someone paid before the market went into orbit. And of course condition is EVERYTHING.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

15. Member
    The market around here is nuts. 90s tracker classics in ok shape for 6-7k...of course those are asking prices but some folks shoot for the stars.

I pulled the trigger on the 2004. It is in very nice shape. Had it on the water today and it is plenty fast for me. I was tracking 35mph against the wind with my GPS (13mph head wind).
    That is better than I expected. Popped up on plane quicker than I thought it would. I'm very pleased with it. The Hummingbird Helix 7 units are like new. Seats are great.

I did some further negotiations, cherry picked some minor cosmetic stuff and trailer issues. Ended up closer to 8k.
    Being 19 years old it could use a good waxing or whatever I need to do to shine it up a little better.

Plan on adding a new keel roller and winch.
    Some new rubber rail corners and end pieces.
    Rubber gaskets for the compartment lids to make it look cleaner. I'd like to lessen the gaps. The carpet was pulled and it has a Line X type coating.
    Also-
    Mercury Vessel View and some led lighting, foot control tray.
    Wouldn't mind swapping the trolling motor with one that has ipilot or spot lock. But that's down the road. Those are a bit pricey

Buy First------ I'm gonna fish like crazy for a while before tackling any mods.

Here's some pics.

16. Member
    That boat does look good.
    Now go fish

Good luck

17. Member
    Clean looking boat.

18. Member
    Looks Great!!! Enjoy.

19. Member
    Thanks everyone. We are enjoying it.

Met a local guy that is selling a. MINN KOTA Talon 12ft with the pivot hinge and spacer bracket. It looks brand new. He had 2 of them on. Took one off because the wife wanted a ladder and he has spot lock. So he is selling one. I saw it and it looks brand new. And for the price I would be stupid not to pick it up.
    Nice guy, keeps his boat in the garage and it looks new.

So maybe a new Talon for the new boat.