drop shot weight and baits

I do almost no finesse fishing and I know I am missing out by avoiding it. I've been throwing a wacky rigged senko a fair amount this spring and have been getting a lot of fish on it. I want to try doing some drop shotting as well. What weight should I be using if I'm fishing 5-15' of water? Also, I'd love a couple recommendations on some good drop shot baits to try.

2. Member
    1/4 oz is what I use probably 90% of the time, as far as baits go depends on if you're targeting LM or SM but Roboworms and Berkley Flatworms are tough to beat for either. There's obviously a million baits you can try. Wacky rigging a 4" Senko is a good one too.

I'm in the same boat as willwork, but it might be 98% 1/4 for me. The only time I go lighter is if I'm fishing something really snaggy (like the Canadian shield lakes way up north), or heavier if it's a lot of current or wind. I have very occasionally gone lighter when it seems like a slower rate of fall would help get bites, but that's way past getting some confidence in the technique.

I also agree on bait selection. Roboworms are a can't miss thing to try, and Flat Worms work great, especially for smallmouth. I'm a big fan of the Roboworm Rebarb hooks for drop shotting, too. They're awesome for Texas rigging baits on a drop shot and will penetrate easily on the hookset by just leaning into the fish, but also make great nose hook or wacky rig hooks as well. Super versatile which I think is helpful when you're getting used to a technique. If I was going to make a recommendation, I'd suggest grabbing some 6" Roboworms in a color you'd fish for any other technique (some version of green pumpkin is always good), some of the Rebarb hooks in size 1 or so, some 1/4 oz drop shot weights, and go to town!

Don't be afraid to fish it IN cover, either. I've caught a bunch fishing it through heavy vegetation, not just outside it. Now this isn't to say you should throw one where you'd normally need a punch rig, but if definitely works really well to cast it, say, 5 feet up into the weedline then work it out. You end up picking up a lot of neutral fish sitting just inside that grass line, plus enticing reaction strikes and picking up active fish when you pop it across the outside edge. You can upsize your line over what you'd normally consider finessey, but I'm usually doing it with my normal 7 lb Sniper as a leader. You'd be surprised just how much you can do with it as long as you don't horse them after you get them hooked. A longer rod helps with that.

Definitely try your wacky Senko on the drop shot! It will fall a lot slower than something rigged more straight, but wacky rigs on the drop shot work really well.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Thanks for the help. 1/4 oz is what I was leaning towards, so glad to know I was on the right track. Planning to use 8lb Seaguar Blue Label leader attached to some 15lb braid. I've thrown drop shot a little in the past, but it's been years and the only thing I remember was catching a handful of dinks. But I know it catches big fish too and it's something I really need to implement more often.

5. Member
    ok, next question...do you guys generally start with a certain length from the bait to the weight and then adjust from there? If so, what do you usually start with, and how do you know whether to increase or decrease the length?

6. Member
    My go to setup is a Point Blank PB691MLXF, 6 or 8lb straight Tatsu (with a decent amount of backing since that stuff is expensive), a 3000 Stradic and I like to use the VMC Spinshots and Lazer Trokar Helix hooks size 1 or 2 depending on the bait.

I use 12-14" most of the time from the weight to the hook it's rare that I'll go more than that. Works for me.

I'm usually anywhere from 12-18". There have been times in the summer around grass where I've gotten more bites going with a really long gap (like over 2 feet), or around rocks where it seems like 6" is better. But day in and day out, I don't think you need to tinker with that part too much.

I think your braid to leader plan is sound. I usually run braid in the 0.15-0.18 mm range with a 7 lb Sniper leader, usually 12-15' long so I don't have to replace it as often. The longer leader can also make it easier if you're dropping on fish instead of casting. But whatever you're comfortable with in terms of leader length is where you should go with it. I think there's some merit to the straight fluoro approach as well, but I don't have the patience to deal with the line twist and I'm too cheap to pay for it!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

I carry 1/16 to 1 oz DS weights. Can’t remember the last time I tied on anything smaller than 3/8. 3/8 is used probably 70% of my time. 1/2 and 3/4 and 1 oz in current in the st Clair river or channels or when I find the faster drop working to trigger fish.

I run braid to a 30 ft or so leader - I want that knot on the spool and u der a few wraps when Netting the fish. I vary the length from hook to weight depending on water temp (short when cold) and weeds I’m fishing. Bed fishing, I run about 6-8 inches. I’m typically around 18.
    Last edited by Hollada; 06-06-2023 at 10:25 PM.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

10. Member
    Interesting article. I always thought power shotting was using more weight AND big baits...basically an upsized drop shot rig. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the information.

I use drop shot weights like this, 3/16 in shallow water and if the wind is calm. 1/4 if it's deep or if the wind is blowing. As far as drop, it depends on where you're fishing. 8-12" if they're on the bottom, 12-20 if you're fishing over grass or they're off the bottom. When I fish vertical, usually about 18".
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    Shorter leader in winter.

13. Member
    I never understood why people don't use a 1/0 ewg hook for drop shooting weedless! I have been rigging that way foe 20 years or more. Absolutely works perfect with very good hookups!

14. Member
    Thanks for the help guys! Figured I'd give a quick update. I ordered some stuff from Tackle Warehouse. I wound up getting the Nishine Lure Works #2 drop shot hooks (saw a video from Matt Stefan about this particular hook and decided to give it a shot), some 1/4 oz weights, and five bags of plastics (2 Roboworm straight tail worms, 2 Xzone finesse slammer, and 1 Reaction Innovation shiver shot) along with some Seaguar Blue Label 8lb test leader material. Finally got out last night (was out of the area on vacation all last week) for a little over an hour just fishing from shore at a small local pond. Wound up catching 4 largemouth (had a 5th one hooked but it came off) and was happy that only one was a real dink. The others were pretty solid fish for this particular pond, with each of them being in the 13-14 inch range. At least catching some fish started to give me some confidence in the drop shot. I'm looking forward to trying it more this summer. Again, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I never understood why people don't use a 1/0 ewg hook for drop shooting weedless! I have been rigging that way foe 20 years or more. Absolutely works perfect with very good hookups!
    x2

The only thing I will add to the great advice above in a GY Thin Senko is my worm to use when the chips are down. The GY Kuttail (sp?) is another good one. Only drawback to GY baits is they are fragile.

Roboworms are fragile too, but they float so if one gets knocked off by a head shaking, jumping fish, you can pick it up and reuse it.

17. Member
    I fish almost exclusively 1/4 like most but my buddy swears by 1/2 even 3/4 and he does well. He claims it let's him shake the worm better without moving the weight and the fish don't mind a faster fall. Quick question for Drew- do you tend to pop the bait out of the weeds or or try to ease them through?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I fish almost exclusively 1/4 like most but my buddy swears by 1/2 even 3/4 and he does well. He claims it let's him shake the worm better without moving the weight and the fish don't mind a faster fall. Quick question for Drew- do you tend to pop the bait out of the weeds or or try to ease them through?
    Yes.

On a more serious note, try both. My go to is the first thing though. More specifically, I usually try to finesse it until I can feel it’s just about to come free (I envision my bait being clear of the grass and the weight just hanging on), then give a quick, really short “pop.” Emphasis on short! I don’t want to move it very far, but I do want that sudden movement to entice that fish just staring at it. This results in a ton of bites.

When fish are more negative, it sometimes helps to work the bait to that point where only the weight is hanging on, then to just lay the bait back down on top of the grass. Maybe lift and lower it a couple times. They’ll sometimes get it then. That’s a lot more palatable when you know you’re on a spot with fish as it’s tedious.

Another thing to try is to work out to in. Work the bait up to the edge of the weeds, then pop it into the thick stuff. Lots of times it takes off swimming right back out when you do that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    That's how I fish 98% of the time !! I'll use a 1.0 EWG for 4" worms and a 2.0 for 6 and 7" worms/baits. Anywhere from 6-12# YoZuri Top Knot Fluorocarbon leader to Power Pro 15# Braid Using a Shin Knot to attach Braid to Leader.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents