Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Why do you all not pump fresh water in, and let them sit in the same nasty water all day?? That doesn’t make a bit of sense.
    Because i plugged my overflows. So fresh water ends up on back deck. For those that pump fresh water, how do you keep it from filling the bilge. You just rely on auto bilge pump?

2. Member
    Fill in am. Recirculate when full and running. Add some freshwater occasionally during the day

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Why do you all not pump fresh water in, and let them sit in the same nasty water all day?? That doesn’t make a bit of sense.
    If you are using ice, if you pump in fresh water all day you won't be able to lower your livewell temps.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Because i plugged my overflows. So fresh water ends up on back deck. For those that pump fresh water, how do you keep it from filling the bilge. You just rely on auto bilge pump?

Leave the overflows unplugged. I might plug them when I’m planning a long run on the Great Lakes, otherwise, mine just flows in and out all day (constant).

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Leave the overflows unplugged. I might plug them when I’m planning a long run on the Great Lakes, otherwise, mine just flows in and out all day (constant).
    I fish upper Mississippi river. So long runs and rough waves are a constant here on a weekend.

6. Member
    Fresh water in and on a timer all day, then switch to recirculate and add g juice when I pull it out of the water.

7. Banned
    dont use it

8. Member
    Recirc going on both all day. Never had a problem even in Florida heat.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

9. Member
    If water is over 78ish degrees I will run recirc and oxygenator non stop with aerator on a timer. I have caught a limit of smallmouth before 7am out of 30' while the water was 80 degrees and I just ran aerator and recirc/oxygenator non stop for the entire day. I haven't lost a fish in 4-5 years.

So, in Calif tournaments from June 15th-Sept 15th you can only have fish in the well for 6 hr max. therefore, I set the wells on AUTO and the pumps on constant. I have the V-T2 vents and that helps a lot !! My fish are alive and frisky come weigh in time. I also only fish Night Tourney's during the Summer. No ICE and only use additive if the water is dirty or dingy. I only use RECURCULATE when the boat is on the trailer for the weigh-in, NEVER while on the lake.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    I usually fill it about half way when I launch, don't like putting a fish in the livewell with no water. Fill it the rest of the way when I catch my first and add Please Release Me, recirc on 3 all day and pump in new water maybe every hour or so and put in some more Please Release Me halfway through the day. Have the V-T2 vents too. I don't think I've lost a fish that wasn't tongue hooked since I added the vents. I fish mostly team deals so 3 on one side and 2 on the other.

12. Member
    VT-2 vents and freshwater on timer all day long. Switch to recirculate when running between spots then back to freshwater. Lack of oxygen kills fish, not warmer water.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    VT-2 vents and freshwater on timer all day long. Switch to recirculate when running between spots then back to freshwater. Lack of oxygen kills fish, not warmer water.
    Cold recirc'd water has more oxygen than hot surface lake water though.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Mine is on auto, pumps for 1 minute fresh water, is off for 3. Its like that after the first fish goes in. Plus I have vents. Never 1 dead fish.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post

Curious on this as well, I rarely ever use my livewells, but this is some quality info

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by townsend266 View Post
    [/B]

Curious on this as well, I rarely ever use my livewells, but this is some quality info
    The obvious answer would be to not plug your live well overflow, it's there for a reason.

17. Member
    Good info here guys!

RE: tongue hooked fish...

One thing Ive found is to put some Please Release Me powder directly onto the bleeding site and apply pressure with my thumb for a few minutes in the well. I had this happen last weekend and the area clotted immediately. Pressure with the thumb is key.
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    I freeze a couple of two liter soda bottles that are filled with water. Add them to the live well before leaving the house. When I get to the lake I fill the live well then run it on timed recirculate all day. The only fish that die on me are the ones that get hooked in the tongue. Fish that are hooked in the tongue usually die within just a few minutes.

19. Member
    20lbs of ice, plug the overflow, fill live well once, run recirculator and add G Juice.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

I turn on fill pump and put timer on only lost one fish in15 years

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast