Thread: Grabbing fish

Grabbing fish

So I see how many pros are comfortable with grabbing their fish across the back or under the belly but I've never really had confidence to try it. I always bounce or go for the lip.

Are there any tips that helped you grabbing fish?

2. Member
    Smallmouth calm down and are easy to handle when lifted by your hand under their belly. I like to lip largemouth.

3. Member
    I swear that if you grab a largemouth by the back and flip it upside down, they calm down. I’ve landed several bass 4lbs and up like that. Grab right behind the gill plate and ahead of the dorsal fin.

4. Member
    I belly land almost all big smallmouth. In the waves it's so much easier to grab them like that and they will snap their head out of a thumb landing 99.99999% of the time for me. I sit in my driver/passenger seat, pull them up and snatch those suckers like a bear!

5. Member
    Unless you're fishing a tournament where you can't use a net...why not use a net?

Taking them out of the net I'll lip fish with single hook baits and grab them across the back for treble hook baits.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Unless you're fishing a tournament where you can't use a net...why not use a net?
    Taking them out of the net I'll lip fish with single hook baits and grab them across the back for treble hook baits.
    Personally, it’s more fun and less stuff out on the boat deck to deal with. I’ll net them in a tournament with a partner.

7. Member
    Belly land smallies, they do settle down when you do that and you eliminate getting a hand full of hooks as they start thrashing around. I lip largies, as they have more "grab" area due to their larger mouths .... If a net is available, and allowed, I ALWAYS to the net for bigger fish of either species.

8. Member
    I am very very cautious around fish with hooks in their mouth. I have had them hook me in the hand before and it is not fun.

I use a RUBBER STYLE net sometimes....but I also keep one of those fish grippers handy on the front deck .... the ones sort of like vise grips ... sometimes I will slip that on the lip and click it closed and use pliers to remove the hook and never touch the fish.

I have read that string style nets and carpet and hands remove the slime on the fish and make it more susceptible to getting infections or sores. I try to not harm the fish. I do catch and release on all bass.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.