Thread: 223

I've been looking for a 223 hull I can basically gut and re do from scratch. I've always loved this hull, and they are hard to find intact and ready for a second life. Anything out there? Anything I need to look for that would make one a hard pass?

This would be my lifetime boat. Total modern makeover including a new trailer, power, finishes, electronics.

2. Member
    Saw one for sale the other day on FB, definitely a fixed upper. I’ll see if I can find it again, don’t remember exactly what page I saw it on. It was the south texas area

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Saw one for sale the other day on FB, definitely a fixed upper. I’ll see if I can find it again, don’t remember exactly what page I saw it on. It was the south texas area
    Never thought to check FB. Thank you

4. Member
    Man, I searched and searched, I can’t find it. I’m guessing they either sold it or decided to keep it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Man, I searched and searched, I can’t find it. I’m guessing they either sold it or decided to keep it.
    I found the one I think you saw. 11k for hull and trailer. Exactly what I needed to start with. It sold quick.

My partner has a 221 that needs a total rebuild, transom, stringers, and gel work.
    I know he’ll let it go really cheap. Send me a PM if you’re interested.

7. Member
    1996 221 was reposted on the ChampioN Boats FB page, located in Helotes TX. $14,500, looks like it would need quite a bit of work to get it back to “dream boat” status.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONMAN View Post
    My partner has a 221 that needs a total rebuild, transom, stringers, and gel work.
    I know he’ll let it go really cheap. Send me a PM if you’re interested.
    Thanks - that more than I can tackle. I'm looking for a structurally sound hull. Or one that may need minor work. I know they are hard ti find.

What is the main differences in a 223 vs a 221?

9. Member
    I'd also like to hear the differences between a 223 and a 221

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My brochures might show, but I just got out of Heart Hospital and am not at home. I will try to remember to check when I go to the house, but aside from the obvious 2” in length, my memory has gone blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    My brochures might show, but I just got out of Heart Hospital and am not at home. I will try to remember to check when I go to the house, but aside from the obvious 2” in length, my memory has gone blank.
    Stay strong Lea, we love you.... get some rest.

My memory serves that the 221 had a splash well and was a problem with stress cacking and flexing on the transom.
    My 2001 223 doesn't have a splash well.
    I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Stay strong Lea, we love you.... get some rest.

My memory serves that the 221 had a splash well and was a problem with stress cacking and flexing on the transom.
    My 2001 223 doesn't have a splash well.
    I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in.
    Sounds like a 221 wouldn't be the ticket. 223 it is.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    I wouldn’t rule out a 221.

Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    One thing about the non-splash well hulls, when you come to a stop you better turn a 180 because if you don't the rear gets swamped! I had guys say, well just drive it out, but it doesn't work.
    Plus, the battery compartments have no backer under the base floor, so depending how many penetrations have been drilled into it there's a good chance that foam filled cavity is wet. I opened both battery compartments and took all the foam out and redid the floor and put in new expandable foam. and sealed the area and put a backer and under my battery tray.
    One way to tell if it's wet in there is to pull the batteries and tray and get on it and step into the compartment and look for water coming up.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    One thing about the non-splash well hulls, when you come to a stop you better turn a 180 because if you don't the rear gets swamped! I had guys say, well just drive it out, but it doesn't work.
    Plus, the battery compartments have no backer under the base floor, so depending how many penetrations have been drilled into it there's a good chance that foam filled cavity is wet. I opened both battery compartments and took all the foam out and redid the floor and put in new expandable foam. and sealed the area and put a backer and under my battery tray.
    One way to tell if it's wet in there is to pull the batteries and tray and get on it and step into the compartment and look for water coming up.

Great points and advice. Thank you