Power draw question..... sorry

Looking into another starting battery. My current one is probably not gonna lasts much longer. Current battery is a Diehard 31HDS and it died on me last trip. UGH>

I have a Solix 12 and Helix 7.
    I know the Solix draws 2.7amps/hour.

I have googled how to figure out how many amp hours or whatever I need.. Just looking for a simple answer. Minimum amp hours or reserve capacity for my setup.

Its a 98 175EFI Mercury on a 99 Champion. So I really dont want lithium and supposedly AGM is not recommended either. Thanks
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

2. Member
    Get a Lithium Battery and separate from your crank battery. I know it isn't the answer you want. Else get the largest capacity lead acid that you can fit in your boat, if that is what you want.
    Last edited by jjnssn; 06-05-2023 at 06:44 PM.

3. Member
    Honestly just those 2 graphs aren't that much draw compared to most setups out there nowadays. I ran 4 10" helix units, a 360, and livewell pumps for 8-9hr tournament days on an 31 agm deka with no issues.
    A 31 Duracell from batteries plus would probably be more than enough.
    Another option, is the standalone lithium as mentioned above. That's most likely what I will do when my batteries crap out in the near future. I can drop down to a 27 wet cell for cranking and throw a lithium in for electronics and have plenty of power.
    If I fished tournaments I'd go all lithium but I don't need 3 days of power to fish a couple days a month.

4. Member
    I had a similar issue. I solved it with an X2 agm from Batteries +.

What size lithium is recommended for just my electronics?
    " A Few Good Fish"

6. Member
    I'm sure someone with direct experience will chime in, but I'd say you can probably get by with a 50ah.
    I run a helix 10 and mega live on my Kayak with a 14ah battery I took out my my son's power wheels truck. Helix is specd at 2.7 amps. According to that, I should only be able to run for 2-3 hrs. But I consistently fish for 5-7 hrs with no issue.
    The amp draw listed is MAX draw. Meaning everything that can be running and using up brain power is going and brightness on max. If you ever needed more wiggle room throwing the whichever you're not using on standby or bumping down brightness a few clicks when you can would make a pretty good difference in total usage at the end of the day

Thanks for the info. Im thinking maybe a 30AH?
    " A Few Good Fish"

8. Member
    I am kind of a belt and suspender guy. How much more is a 40 or 50? You may add something new at some point. Also if you drain it below 20% regularly the Lithium will wear out a bit quicker. I like to have the peace of mind knowing I won’t run out on a long day. But your money is not mine to spend. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I am kind of a belt and suspender guy. How much more is a 40 or 50? You may add something new at some point. Also if you drain it below 20% regularly the Lithium will wear out a bit quicker. I like to have the peace of mind knowing I won’t run out on a long day. But your money is not mine to spend. JMO Bob
    " A Few Good Fish"

10. Member
    Even the 31 AGM battery you have is plenty of power for two graphs, the motor and other electric needs. In my opinion unless you plan on upgrading or adding electronics adding an expensive lithium battery is overkill. If you want to lose weight then a smaller lithium would work but still expensive. Any AGM or wet cell battery in the 29-31 size should be plenty for you unless you plan on fishing a lot of nights with extra lights on. Even a 40AH lithium is around $500. Granted this battery may last longer and will be lighter but it's up to you to figure the cost of ownership over the next 2-3 years and go from there.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA