Wrecked hub and axle on 2022 Z-19 trailer

Well. You can add me to the long list of nitro trailer issues.
    I have a 2022 tandem axle trailer under my Z-19.
    I’m original owner who had roughly 2500-3000 miles on it. When I got the recall to torque axle nuts to 50 ft/lbs to seat bearings. Did that last summer as well as greased the hubs which took 12-17 squirts each.
    FF to a few days ago- got home from a 60 mile round trip a found grease all over my wheel on front axle. Tore it apart to find bearing shot and ground to almost nothing. Wrecked my fixed spindle as well.
    Looking for best avenue to get a new front axle as well as new hubs all around. I’m currently getting the run around from dealership.
    All I want is the parts and I’ll fix it myself as it’s pretty tough to drive the trailer 300 miles with no wheel.
    thanks for your input.

2. Member
    I would take it to a trailer dealer, they will be able to determine what you need and if they don't stock it, they'll get it. I learned years ago to limit the amount I deal with boat dealers, good ones are few and far between.

3. Member
    You torqued the bearings yourself along with the 12-17 squirts of grease?

4. Member
    Did you torque the nut, then back off the nut and then retightened the nut snug to insert the cotter pin.

The torqueing of the nut seats the bearings, then you just want it tight enough to turn freely with minimal play.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    Did you torque the nut, then back off the nut and then retightened the nut snug to insert the cotter pin.

The torqueing of the nut seats the bearings, then you just want it tight enough to turn freely with minimal play.
    That's what I was thinking he did, torque it down and then set the pin, then added unnecessary extra grease.
    Last edited by DTI0384; 06-08-2023 at 10:56 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTI0384 View Post
    That's what I was thinking he did, torque it down and then set the pin, then added unnecessary extra grease.
    Probably, and that's how we learn.

I did a boo boo when accidently flushed out power steering system with a quart of brake fluid, long story short $4500.00 and a new steering pump, hydro booster, gear box and all new lines. Truck drives like new now. When I went to the store, the first bottle on the shelf said power steering fluid, so I grabbed that one and the one behind it which was turned around.

Ok back on track

I pump new grease in to my bearings once a year till the new grease comes out, it does take 12-20 pumps per wheel. 2019 Z20

7. Member
    Probably, and that's how we learn.

I did a boo boo when accidently flushed out power steering system with a quart of brake fluid, long story short $4500.00 and a new steering pump, hydro booster, gear box and all new lines. Truck drives like new now. When I went to the store, the first bottle on the shelf said power steering fluid, so I grabbed that one and the one behind it which was turned around.

Ok back on track

I pump new grease in to my bearings once a year till the new grease comes out, it does take 12-20 pumps per wheel. 2019 Z20
    When you rub your hand behind the Rear hub seal you have zero grease that gets on your hands?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTI0384 View Post
    When you rub your hand behind the Rear hub seal you have zero grease that gets on your hands?
    Yes, I check behind there to make sure rear seals are good, I get a decent amount of grease on the inside of my plastic caps. The grease is spinning and centrifugal force forces it out, so it needs to be replaced. There is a void in the hubs that holds grease till it gets forced out of front bearings.

9. Member
    Yes, I check behind there to make sure rear seals are good, I get a decent amount of grease on the inside of my plastic caps. The grease is spinning and centrifugal force forces it out, so it needs to be replaced. There is a void in the hubs that holds grease till it gets forced out of front bearings.
    You must have EZ Lube hubs, Vortex hubs along with Vault hubs don't expel grease.
    As the rear seals get some miles on them, using the EZ lube method will eventually blow out the aged seals.

Vortex hubs with the Aluminum screw on O Ring sealed caps you can get for them are a good alternative if you have A Nitro/Tracker boat, the grease won't go anywhere until the rear seal gives way.

10. Member
    Yep. Did exactly as WRM stated in their recall notes.

11. Member
    Nope. I torqued to 50 ft/lbs just as stated, back off and then snug to get cotter pin in. Then greased until grease was coming from front bearings. Pretty easy. Also pretty sure damage was already done by them not being properly seated from factory

12. Member
    In addition to the wrecked hub and spindle a hub on rear axle had some grease on vac of hub which shouldn’t. My guess is due to bad seal and WRM not torquing to specs in the first place.

13. Member
    My nitro trailer has grease zerk on spindle which sits behind steel threaded cap. The vortex hub does expel grease from the front bearing when the hub is full.

14. Member
    Update-my dealer got me new front axle with new hubs and two new hubs for rear axle. All warranty. We’ll see if they hold up. If another fails, I’m pressing hard for some quality Dexter hubs.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetch114 View Post
    My nitro trailer has grease zerk on spindle which sits behind steel threaded cap. The vortex hub does expel grease from the front bearing when the hub is full.

Obviously, but the grease will not exit the Hub itself with a Vortex setup unless the Vortex caps are cracked or it has a damaged O-ring on the cap or a bad rear seal, they are designed to be a no maintenance hub for 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first, although I would remove the front threaded cap, to check for water intrusion at least once a year, and feel the hub after arriving at the launch destination and then again at the trailers place of residence on every outing, and visually check the rear seal area for any grease that could be leaking out due to a worn seal after every outing.

I myself don't go the whole the whole 6 years, every 3 years they get rebuilt, and I also install a new rear spindle wear sleeve that the rear seal rides on, most people forget or don't know about.

And Since you have a WRM product check your Leaf springs for any stress fractures due to poor casting.