more amps from alternator

I am curious if a mercury optimax alternator can be increased from the 50 it puts out to maybe 60 or better 70 amps, seems to me that should be possible.....thanks in advance

2. Member
    I googled it here is what it said

Use an External Regulator
    An external regulator along with temperature sensors for your battery and alternator will give you up to a 50 percent increase in charging output.

3. Member
    I think or I know a VOLTAGE REGULATOR will regulate voltage, I want to see if I can get more amperage which is the volume of power, so I'm not sure that's right

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandone View Post
    I think or I know a VOLTAGE REGULATOR will regulate voltage, I want to see if I can get more amperage which is the volume of power, so I'm not sure that's right
    charging output is amps not volts

merc sells a upgraded alternator also I believe more output

i had one on my tool truck bumped from 100 to 140 took different windings to do it
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Charging output is volts times amps. Watts. Joules. Electrical power.

To get more electrical power you will more than likely need a different alternator with a higher electrical output. Voltage will be more or less the same. The amperes will be greater.

6. Member
    50 amps is quite a large amount of current. Are you already seeing that much current flow to whatever it is that you are powering?