What am I doing wrong?

Thrown two blades in the past year. Fury 23 pitch 3 blade props on 2019 Merc 4 stroke 250 hp. 2019 Ranger 520C. Atlas hydraulic jackplate. First prop I know I was running high at 6 on my jackplate gauge. Didn’t know it was an issue at the time to run the fury that high. Then yesterday, new prop, running 5600 RPM, 3 on the gauge. Calm water, came over a small wake off another boat, didn’t hear any prop blow out when suddenly I heard that heart stopping sound and vibration and knew right away I tossed another blade. I was going straight and wasn’t in a turn. I do carry a spare, idled to the bank, made the switch and went my way… did notice the tossed blade hit the bottom of the cavitation plate and cracked it. I know the current prop is under warranty but dang, do I want the hassle of dealing with this headache again? From my research it appears the fury has a history of slinging blades more than other props. That said, with all the mercs the pros are running we don’t hear of this issue.

Coincidence to throw two blades? Operator error? Poor workmanship? I’ve been running bass boats for 40 years and never tossed a blade until now. Please share and educate me on what is going on.

Thank you in advance for your input for a positive solution.

Todays motors have more HP/Torque than ever. Boats are bigger/heavier than ever. Thin blades don't last.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Mercury may warranty out the lower unit, I would try. Try a tempest + if you want to stick with a 3 blade, the tempest's seem to be more robust and the 4 strokes like the bigger diameter.