Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    bud those plugs are not water washed they are fuel and oil soaked , they would be sparkling white if water washed
    hmm, well if there is oil in the water bypass lines on a 2 stroke, and the plugs are fuel oil soaked, and the damn thing won’t accelerate past 2500 rpm’s…. Maybe it’s possessed and I should just put it out if it’s misery lol. Seriously though, I did turn the air/fuel mixture screws out about 1/8 turn each just to see what would happen. If I’m doubt turn the needles out type deal. Guess she is running too rich at idle now… but the oil in the water lines? And there was a puddle of oil in my driveway the next day after I ran it last time and that never happened before. There was a lot of oil everywhere… and it drained out onto my driveway. There isn’t even an oil container in the outboard anymore so all came from the gas/oil mix

2. Member
    There was corrosion forming between the Powerhead and the exhaust plate so I’m not upset about pulling the power head to clean it all up and replace gaskets. Can’t hurt on a 27 year old beast! I didn’t even think about having to change out 36 head bolts… online they are about $5 a piece Ugg

3. Member

Ugg

Okay, so pulled off the exhaust plate and was very disappointed in that the honeycomb holes were completely clear, and #2 how the heck do you remove the long bolts from the dyna float mounts... They are too long to remove, do I seriously have to remove the whole driveshaft housing unit thing to change these bolts?? I should have just left it alone at this point... See pics.. I can't get those bolts out and they are in seriously bad shape...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    tilt engine down and turn steering until they clear brackets
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    tilt engine down and turn steering until they clear brackets
    tried that. The whole thing tilts together. There is a stop on the bottom of the steering arm to not let it go too far so no matter what I do they won’t come out. According to my manual there is a retaining ring holding the whole thing together at the bottom mount. Guess I’ll try and pull it to move the whole shaft up some to free the bolts. What a design…

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have a lifting ring on it, lifting UP?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Do you have a lifting ring on it, lifting UP?
    The lifting ring is hooked to the powerhead which is off. I'm going to work on this more tonight when I get home.

8. Member
    Okay so today I was using a different set of eyes and figured out how to get the bolts to clear... so they are out. Now just gotta wait for parts to arrive. Am replacing the upper mounts (part 22 in the picture before this reply) since they were pretty ugly. If the motor doesn't run, I'll have a bunch of new parts I can sell LOL Also noticed a broken piece on the exhaust plate... will have to get it welded. I'd buy a used exhaust plate lots on ebay but not quite like mine. Mine has those two water strainers mounted inside.... not sure if that'll matter. Weld mine or get a used close to looking like mine...???

9. Member
    I personally wouldn't attempt having that welded. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would try and find a used one in good condition.

10. Member
    ^^^^^^^ +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    So I noticed another crack in my exhaust plate, I'll try and post a pic. Guess I'll be looking for a used one, none of the ones on <READ ANNOUNCEMENTS> are like mine... guess mine is older. Anybody know of a good source for used Mercury outboard parts? I'm gonna look online and call around. Might be why my exhaust boot tore off, I guess that crack would really pressurize that back section.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-08-2023 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Please Read Announcements

I think you have opened the proverbial "Can of Worms" !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I think you have opened the proverbial "Can of Worms" !
    which part of what I’ve done are you referring? Asking where to get parts, or just tearing into this motor? Motor wasn’t running right and I need parts lol

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBorz View Post
    which part of what I’ve done are you referring?
    You know... You start off to correct "this", then it becomes "this and that", then it's "this, that, and the other thing"... ad nauseum...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

15. Member
    Lol, as I’m scanning websites looking for parts, my eyes have started to look at the newer mercury 225’s lol. But I’m determined to find the issue with this motor and fix it… then maybe trade it in while it’s running!

Most times On dirt bikes and other engine that get switched to pre mix have to have jet changes . Most run lean because now you have less actual fuel going they the fuel jet since there is oil also there now
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Most times On dirt bikes and other engine that get switched to pre mix have to have jet changes . Most run lean because now you have less actual fuel going they the fuel jet since there is oil also there now
    I bought it with the oil injection unhooked. I’ve been pre-mixing the last 4 years no issues… well until there was lol. I don’t think I’m running lean though according ti my plugs. But yeah I guess you could be right.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check out the FAQ Section for info on Exhaust Tuner's getting plugged up. Pretty high odds you need to look at that.

Very limited number of "used" adapter plates (well "good" used anyway) out there, as they're usually replaced for breakage or massive corrosion.

Above all: Please take a read of the Announcements at the top of the Forum. We don't support the 'Zon or Flea-Bay (or any parts obtained from there) on these forums.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check out the FAQ Section for info on Exhaust Tuner's getting plugged up. Pretty high odds you need to look at that.

Very limited number of "used" adapter plates (well "good" used anyway) out there, as they're usually replaced for breakage or massive corrosion.

Above all: Please take a read of the Announcements at the top of the Forum. We don't support the 'Zon or Flea-Bay (or any parts obtained from there) on these forums.

This forum was the reason I tore my powerhead off. I figured maybe my exhaust tuner’s honeycombs were clogged, but mine were perfectly clean.

Didn’t mean to offend, just looking for exhaust plate 818450A1 or A2. Maybe somebody blew a power head and their exhaust plate is good!!

20. Member
    Here is the bottom on my exhaust plate before I removed the tuner... perfectly clean.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast