How do I get the fuel pump to stay in lid of VST tank Yamaha HPDI

I posted this in the Yamaha outboard section, but there is so little traffic on there is thought I’d try here. So here goes….

How do I get the fuel pump to stay in lid of VST tank?

For the life of me I can’t figure this out. I was going to the change the filter on it, and when I took the lid off the pump just falls out of the lid. Didn’t think anything about it. Change the vst filter and going back to put things back together. What holds the electric pump onto the lid? I mean can push the pump and gasket and such back in there, but as soon as turn the lid back over to put it back together it just falls back out. I have no idea what I’m going to do short of dragging it to a dealer.

I you tubed a 1000 videos and they all so how to change the filter, but none of putting the pump in. Most of the videos I’ve watched the pump didn’t fall out of the lid when they took it apart like mine did.

Its been a while since I did my filter but if I remember the pump has a plastic piece that sits on top and there is an electrical connection that is held on by a green plastic square clip

Once you plug the connector in and install the clip the whole thing is pushed into the top of the tank and the plastic piece that sits on top of the pump is squeezed a little as it goes in and grips the pump

This is about the best video I’ve seen showing it
    At 0:50 you can see him removing the top of the tank and the pump is stuck in the tank and just pulls out
    At 5:00 you see him install the pump and you don't see the pump go in but I assume he just pushes it into the top of the tank

Nothing more than friction holding it in place

I would guess your issue is the plastic piece on top of the pump is worn out or not installed correctly

Last edited by MichAngler; 06-04-2023 at 05:59 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Its been a while since I did my filter but if I remember the pump has a plastic piece that sits on top and there is an electrical connection that is held on by a green plastic square clip

Once you plug the connector in and install the clip the whole thing is pushed into the top of the tank and the plastic piece that sits on top of the pump is squeezed a little as it goes in and grips the pump

This is about the best video I’ve seen showing it
    At 0:50 you can see him removing the top of the tank and the pump is stuck in the tank and just pulls out
    At 5:00 you see him install the pump and you don't see the pump go in but I assume he just pushes it into the top of the tank

Nothing more than friction holding it in place

I would guess your issue is the plastic piece on top of the pump is worn out or not installed correctly

Thank you sir for the explanation. It just seemed wrong that it was friction only holding it in. Just didn’t seem right to me. I’ll go out tomorrow and try again. Thanks again

In the interest of full disclosure I didn’t have to pull my pump and it stayed in place while I replaced the filter

but like you I watched a ton of videos on this

It maybe there is a twist required or it snaps in place but from that video there is no hardware (screws or bracket) used to hold it in there

hopefully someone with more knowledge of this procedure can chime in
    Last edited by MichAngler; 06-04-2023 at 06:18 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

This is not the same model but you can clearly see him just push the pump up into a rubber fitting with a little force to hold it in place

starts at 8:00

"The handicapped angler"

6. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    call hydro-Tec they have been super helpful to BBC people

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    call hydro-Tec they have been super helpful to BBC people
    good call! They actually answered a few questions when I was having my fuel issues
    "The handicapped angler"