Network Heading Data With Helix Units and Ultrex

I recently learned something about heading data that may be helpful to others. If you have Helix sonar units networked over a switch, and also have an Ultrex BT trolling motor on the network, then heading data from the Ultrex will automatically be sent to all Helix units when the trolling motor is deployed. If any of your Helix units already have an external connected heading sensor, that units heading sensor data gets replaced with the Ultrex heading data (when Ultrex is deployed). So when the Ultrex is deployed, all heading readings on the network will be the one supplied by the Ultrex heading sensor.

I discovered this while trying so solve a problem with my maps not orienting properly while fishing, and they were all off on all 3 Helix units by the same amount. Through the process, I learned from Humminbird that the software on the Helix is designed to capture the heading data from the Ultrex when present, and replace any existing heading data that may be displayed from another heading sensor. So if you add a Helix to the bow, you no longer need to subscribe to a heading sensor to keep your maps oriented properly while sitting still fishing. As soon as you deploy the Ultrex, your maps will get the data to properly orient on your screen, whether or not you choose to subscribe to it in the Network sources menu.

Hope this helps someone who may be trying to figure out a problem they may be having with heading data displays. If your Ultrex heading sensor is not calibrated properly, it may distort the mapping display on all units while Ultrex is deployed. Once you stow the Ultrex, mapping will appear as it should be oriented according to any external heading sensors you may have installed.
    2020 Caymas CX20 Pro, Mercury Pro XS 250 4 stroke, SN 2B735045
    Helix 15 msi G4N, Helix 12 msi G3N, Helix 12 mdi G4N, Solix 12 G1
    Mega 360, Mega Live w/ Targetlock, 8' Raptors,
    Minkota Ultrex 112 w/Ipilot Link, (2) 5 Port Switches

2. Member
    My console 15 helix gets it heading from my point 1 on nmea2k.....always, even when ultrex is deployed.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    That's interesting. I have the same setup on my 1 Solix, and it too does not change. Maybe has to do with nmea routing not getting interfered with by the Humminbird network.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    My console 15 helix gets it heading from my point 1 on nmea2k.....always, even when ultrex is deployed.
    How do you know that it does not switch when ultrex is deployed?

5. Member
    Because I've looked
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC