MotorGuide Xi5 just installed Pinpoint not responding correctly

I have a 9 year old Xi5 that I added the Pinpoint kit recently.
    The motor sat for a few months as the batteries needed replacing.
    After replacing all 3 batteries, I installed the Pinpoint kit.
    I followed directions in the MotorGuide video, the lights came on and the beeps were working.
    I went through the steps to link the new remote, that worked, I tried to activate the Mounting Angle calibration and the Xi5 head moves about a 1/2 inch in the arrow direction but does not move the trolling motor past the initial movement.

So frustrated, I left it alone for a week. Went back to try again today. Now the lights are not coming on. The battery light flashes red for a few seconds. The motor speed works, responds to the remote, but the left right does not respond any differently. The cruise Control come on with a beep.

What should I do?
    Is there something frozen in the direction gearing box?
    And why aren't the lights working? Maybe because I didn't finish the Compass Calibration?
    I checked the power at the plug, 39.9 volts. All three batteries show 13.3 volts.

Rush

2. Member
    I think there are some updates for the pinpoint gps. I have never done any updates, but mine came with pinpoint gps.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Motorguide Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/824127438065311

Some Xi remotes eat batteries some don't. What do you mean by "all three batteries"? Remote, foot pedal, and 12 volt motor battery(s)???

The motor should not move when you set the mounting angle.

Do you have it connected to a Lowrance unit via the gateway? Or are you running it as a stand alone unit?

Do you have GPS lock? The GPS features will not work unless you have GPS lock.

I'm betting your motor has the black control board in it.

And yes, there are 2 updates available. SWUP 07 and SWUP 022. If you're not connected to a Lowrance unit you need to get a "dongle" from Motorguide to run the updates. I'd read the on-line up-date instructions very slowly and completely before doing up-dates on a 9 year old motor. Might even call Motorguide and discuss. Have your serial number handy.
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 06-04-2023 at 12:11 PM.

4. Member
    The 3 batteries are the 12 volt batteries in series to form the 36 volts needed to operate the 105 LB trolling motor. There is no foot pedal, only the remote control.
    The battery in the remote is good.
    I don't have a Lawrence unit.
    This is the instructions I am using:

And I got the GPS lock the first time I was trying to set it up.
    I'm going to check the connections in the trolling motor itself, since I am not getting the green battery light or another lights.
    I'll check back with you when I can get to this again.

5. Member
    Unless you get the green power light nothing will work correctly.

6. Member
    I got a change to look at the trolling motor again.
    Took the cover off.
    All the connections look good. Checked power at the incoming + &- and getting 39 Volts, the other terminal has 38 volts fro - to the screen to the left of incoming power.
    So is the black module in the bottom bad (where the power mounts?)
    Model #:941700050
    Serial #:9D216676
    Still only get the red battery light for a second, get a beep, no other lights.

7. Member
    If you are not getting a green power light and all your battery connections from the battery to the troll motr are good and there is not corrosion anywhere in the troll motor system then you may have a bad control board or a bad breaker that is acting up when you power up the troll motor. Your voltage reading could be a false reading if any of the above is wrong. When power to the troll motor does what yours is doing then any of the above mentioned is possible. The true way to find out is to remove from the boat and bring to some one that has a 36 volt system. ir bring a 36 volt system to your boat. You have to eliminate the boat to fine where the problem is. Then you can go from there.

8. Member
    You can also try unplugging the GPS Module and see if it returns to normal operation.

9. Member
    Turns out the main control board was bad. I replaced it, all the lights come on as they should. The Pin Point GPS sinks up as it should.

But I still have a problem with the left-right steering transmission. When you press the left or right buttons on the remote, it takes the slack out of the unit and you can hear the motor trying to turn the Trolling Motor, but it is as though something is frozen up inside.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten a refurbished Motor Guide Xi5. This one came on my boat.

I have looked at a few You-Tube repair videos, but none had this issue. Any ideas or does this means a new transmission?

10. Member
    New steering unit. Might why the board fried the first time.

11. Member
    Now that I replaced the steering box, everything is working as it should.
    Pin Point GPS works, nice addition!

Thanks for the help.