Extended warranty question

I have a 2020 Mercury 4 stroke pro XS 115 hp, serial number 2B803044 which the regular warranty expires this coming September 2023. I’m on the fence about purchasing an extended warranty . I have had zero problems with this engine. Is there any history of problems with this engine that I may have in the future? I presently have approximately 130 hours on it according to Mercury Vessel View.

There is no “Extended Warranty.” It is a Service Contract. Email Don and get a quote. It is really up to you and how much risk ($) you want to accept vs having a service contract. I know he has posted many times that he buys as long as allowed and Don can do his own work! All my motors have had 5yr Platinum. The times I have used it, has been huge money savings. Others, I paid for a piece of paper with peace of mind. Personally, I would ask yourself what level of repair can I afford out of my own pocket…$1500, 2500, 7500? What does the service contract cost?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    There is no “Extended Warranty.” It is a Service Contract. Email Don and get a quote. It is really up to you and how much risk ($) you want to accept vs having a service contract. I know he has posted many times that he buys as long as allowed and Don can do his own work! All my motors have had 5yr Platinum. The times I have used it, has been huge money savings. Others, I paid for a piece of paper with peace of mind. Personally, I would ask yourself what level of repair can I afford out of my own pocket…$1500, 2500, 7500? What does the service contract cost?
    I could afford a new power head if I had to get on. What I’m looking for is any known problems. For example, if these engines have a history of ———-failure then buying the extended service contract might be in my best interest. If these engines are only showing up for regular maintenance, impellers, filters, fuel lines etc. then I’m not sure I need the extended service contract.

4. Member
    I have a 115 I bought new in 2022, after much thought I'm not buying extra coverage. If I lived in the south I probably would but, in the north the boat is sitting in storage for 6 months of the year and the warranty clock is still ticking.

5. Member
    4 strokes have few problems. I bought the extra 3 years and never used it ! just your call!

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    4 strokes have few problems. I bought the extra 3 years and never used it ! just your call!
    thanks, I suspected that the 4 strokes are very reliable. I probably will not buy the extra years. I have a few months yet to make a decision.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    My 4 stroke has been the most unreliable motor I've ever owned.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you never have a failure, you bought peace of mind.

If you ever DO have a failure, it's probably the best investment you could make.

These 4-strokes are NOT cheap when it starts getting into gearcases, powerheads, and electronics.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    It's a gamble, for a guy putting hundreds of hours on an engine a year probably worth it. For a guy putting less than a hundred hours a year on an engine then stores it for six months a year during the winter probably not. Unless you bought a lemon. Companies that offer extra coverage have crunched the numbers, they are not in business to lose money.

10. Member
    I have a 22 150 Pro XS and I bought the Platinum Warranty for piece of mind and for the coverage it provides and if I decided to sell my Ranger it helps with resell some.

Quote Originally Posted by 02ranger195 View Post
    I have a 22 150 Pro XS and I bought the Platinum Warranty for piece of mind and for the coverage it provides and if I decided to sell my Ranger it helps with resell some.
    This was my thought process as well.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,