Hummingbird Issue

Have an issue and don’t know where to start. Have a 2023 Skeeter ZXR 21. Came standard with Helix 9 bow and 12 at console. Has ultrex with ipilot link. Everything worked great. Spot-lock worked great on trolling motor. Would hold as long as I wanted it to. So added another helix 12 and mega 360 at bow. Had my dealer install everything. Spot lock will not hold but about 30 seconds and cuts off. Also trolling motor gives short beeps all day long. Graphs upfront display trolling motor connected and disconnected off and on all day. Thought maybe everything needed calibration again. I bet I have calibrated it 10 times but it doesn’t make a difference.Have had it back to dealer twice, claimed they put new board in motor. Each time I take it, takes about two weeks to get boat back and I can’t tell a difference. Really thinking it’s an install issue since everything was fine before I added extra electronic. Anybody give any advice? Install, setting off? Really aggravating not being able to use spot lock. Lot invested, sure would like to use all features. Thanks for any info

2. Member
    Have you noticed if when spot lock "unlocks" that it does a full turn, then beeps?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Have you noticed if when spot lock "unlocks" that it does a full turn, then beeps?
    It makes no noise when it unlocks. I don’t even use spotlock anymore because I know it will not hold. Trolling motor beeps just using trolling motor normally. Just beeps off and on all day long and trolling motor connected and trolling motor disconnected messages all day.

4. Member
    You more than likely have a bad connection. Make sure you have the Ethernet connections screwed on tight (hand tightened, but tight). That is on both ends of the cable and the Helix adapter on the helix side. Of course power could be an issue, but I think you would have different alerts. If you have a transducer cable on the shaft, if it gets tight while turning that could be an issue as well. All these things can be caused by poor installations. I suggest you call Skeeter and see if they can talk with the dealer about the poor service on your Skeeter! JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    As others have said, the issue with the connected and disconnected is due to Ethernet connections between the trolling motor and the graphs, in your case between the trolling motor and one or more of your control heads. At each control head go to the network tab in the menu and then scroll over to the GPS tab and you should see all three control heads and the trolling motor. If you don't then you definitely have a network issue. Make sure the Ethernet cables are connected from the trolling motor and control heads to your Ethernet box which should be located under your console by the hotfoot. You can even switch the connections at the Ethernet box to different ports and see what difference that makes. If none of that works you will need to contact Humminbird and have them ship you a new Ethernet box.

As for the spot lock not working correctly for your trolling motor make sure there is no kink in the trolling motor cable or obstruction in the foot peddle. If you can't find anything then you should contact a MinnKota service center near you and have them look at the trolling motor.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

6. Member
    I had the same issue with my Ultrex Ipilot link on my last trip. Sometimes it would work fine....but sometimes when I hit spotlock it would take off full throttle and seem search around for its anchor point. Sometimes it would be holding fine then just just disengage with no warning beeps or anything. Always in the past it would give a warning beep when the spotlock would disengage. My network was also dropping in and out like you describe.

I tried recalibrating the heading sensor and it would fail the calbration....but my heading sensor was being blocked by new graph mounts so that wasn't suprising.

I was having other network issues so as a troubleshooting step after my last trip I took the trolling motor off the network (along with the 360 which was taken off network during the trip). It then held spotlock good the short time I had it on the water. I was troubleshooting things as well so did not have time to try to calibrate it or anything else.

I am replacing the ultrex with my spare standard I-pilot (non link) in prep for my next trip...I dont have time to test everything and dont want issues on that trip so I am totally dumbing down my network. I dont use any of the link features so thats one less input on the network hub. I also took my 360 graph off the network prior to my last trip and it is working better than ever....never stops turning like it did in the past. So now I only have 3 graphs with one sonar input on the network...hopefully that will run with no issues

So you might try taking your trolling motor off the network and see if it works stand alone.
    Last edited by Enduro67; 06-05-2023 at 10:07 AM.

7. Member
    NC, unfortunately you may be fighting a network switch problem. The ethernet switch has 5 ports, sometimes they don't work well when they are full. If they populated the entire switch it can cause some problems. If you want it all networked, I'd suggest adding the second switch. Now your spotlock problem is all trolling motor, which requires a GPS that is locked in and the heading sensor.
    It sounds like the configuration of your network is bad. Setting it up is a question of your use. If you want to be able to see everything on every control unit. The network must be good. (Here is the switch again) You can trouble shoot all this, but I would do a total reset and configure network. I'm not a helix user, but Wayne is the man on helix. Again, decide what you want out of it and set it up to achieve that. Good Luck!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    NC, unfortunately you may be fighting a network switch problem. The ethernet switch has 5 ports, sometimes they don't work well when they are full. If they populated the entire switch it can cause some problems. If you want it all networked, I'd suggest adding the second switch. Now your spotlock problem is all trolling motor, which requires a GPS that is locked in and the heading sensor.
    It sounds like the configuration of your network is bad. Setting it up is a question of your use. If you want to be able to see everything on every control unit. The network must be good. (Here is the switch again) You can trouble shoot all this, but I would do a total reset and configure network. I'm not a helix user, but Wayne is the man on helix. Again, decide what you want out of it and set it up to achieve that. Good Luck!
    I looked and every port on switch is being used. I don’t understand a lot of this but if I have 3 graphs, wouldn’t there only be 3 ports being used? As far as networking goes, I just want to be able to mark a waypoint from any graph and that waypoint show up on any graph. I guess all this modern technology is too much for my 60 year old brain! Lol

9. Member
    Clarification: Yes, you should be able to view the waypoints on each device.

10. Member
    If I’m reading the original post correctly, all three Helix units will use a network port and iPilot link will use a port. That’s only four of the five.

I don’t claim to be a networking expert, but I could see a cable hooked to the five port switch, but not a device causing an issue. You could boot everything up and disconnect one cable at a time from the switch, and see what loses connectivity. Then, remove that cable from the switch and see if anything changes.

11. Member
    Not the same units but my Apex 16 and 19 was doing the same thing. I have no network box so I just unplugged my trolling motor Ethernet cable and haven't had anymore problems. I'm waiting for the update to come out before I call Humminbird.

12. Member
    I just went thru this with my 2022 ZXR21. I was having the same exact issue for over a year. I replaced every ethernet cable, added a 2nd 5 port switch, replaced the I-pilot link on top of the trolling motor and rewired everything on dedicated wiring per Humminbird. Still had the problem. Disconnecting one unit at a time showed the helix 12 was the problem as everything would work if I turned that unit off. I sent that unit back to Humminbird twice and they sent it back both times saying "No Problem Found". So I replaced that unit and have not had a problem since, I'm 2 months trouble free. It just sucks buying a new boat and then having to spend a bunch of money replacing stuff that should have been taken care of buy the dealer. Hope this helps.

13. Member
    Do you guys have your electronics installed by the dealer or in the factory? If you have a good dealer/ mechanic that may be the best, but if not the factory should be replacing the units if they did not work when new. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCSkeeter21 View Post
    I looked and every port on switch is being used. I don’t understand a lot of this but if I have 3 graphs, wouldn’t there only be 3 ports being used? As far as networking goes, I just want to be able to mark a waypoint from any graph and that waypoint show up on any graph. I guess all this modern technology is too much for my 60 year old brain! Lol
    If you have 3 control heads and the Ultrex Ipilot link trolling motor then 4 ports should be used so I'm not sure why the 5th port has a cable in it. You should also be able to mark a waypoint on any graph and see it on another graph in the network. You need to review the manual on how to turn on waypoint sharing as well as ensuring all control heads are connected in the network. If you don't see three control heads and the trolling motor in the network menu on each control head then you have an issue with either the Ethernet Hub itself, one of the ports on the hub, that extra cable is not connected and should be or there is an issue with the control head itself. If you call Humminbird support they can help you trouble shoot. As for the Spot Lock not working on the trolling motor then you should call Minn Kota support on that as well.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    If you have 3 control heads and the Ultrex Ipilot link trolling motor then 4 ports should be used so I'm not sure why the 5th port has a cable in it. You should also be able to mark a waypoint on any graph and see it on another graph in the network. You need to review the manual on how to turn on waypoint sharing as well as ensuring all control heads are connected in the network. If you don't see three control heads and the trolling motor in the network menu on each control head then you have an issue with either the Ethernet Hub itself, one of the ports on the hub, that extra cable is not connected and should be or there is an issue with the control head itself. If you call Humminbird support they can help you trouble shoot. As for the Spot Lock not working on the trolling motor then you should call Minn Kota support on that as well.
    Waypoint sharing is automatic (default). You have to intentionally turn it off to not have it.

The best way to see what units are communicating on the network is to go to Network Source menu and select the GPS column.
    Every unit's GPS antenna (int.), any external GPS antennas (Ext.), and Trolling Motor (Int.) should be listed.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Waypoint sharing may be automatic by default but I've had mine set to "no" a number of times without my knowledge, that's why I suggested. The biggest issue with Humminbird is the network and until they upgrade the hub along with better software these things will continue to happen.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

17. Member
    If Garmin mapping ever catches up to Lakemaster, HB is going to have serious issues in the market.

18. Member
    The best way to determine whether it is a TM or network issue is to disconnect the TM from the network as mentioned above. If the problem persists after disconnecting, your problem is with the TM. Maybe a power related issue or problem with the TM GPS module.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow