Ohio guys, I have a question

I took the family to Cedar Point this past Friday. I saw a bunch of boats fishing along the highway in Portage River and Sandusky bay. Didn't see any bassboats and was just curious what they were fishing for. Most of them appeared to be live bait fishing. We had a great day at the park, did the water park in the morning and rides in the afternoon. My wife and 10 year old daughter were able to get on every ride they wanted to and never waited more than a half hour. I had my 4 year old daughter with me and she was also able to ride everything with less than 5 minute wait times. First time we've ever encountered little to no wait times. Must have been due to the hot weather, but it wasn't that bad with the breeze off the lake.

I have read reports on another Ohio Fishing forum that there is really good catfishing there.

3. Member
    That makes sense being they were live bait fishing and a lot of people using pontoons.

4. Member
    This time of year, I’d say likely they were catching white bass. There certainly are anglers going for cats, but not groups of boats: just a few here and there. White bass are not great eating, but they are fun to catch, and usually easy to catch.

Good for you, by the way. It was smoking hot inshore, so people away from the lake probably saw hot hot is was forecast at home and said the heck with it. Lake breeze is great when you get it, but if the wind switches to the south and it’s hot, look out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    This time of year, I’d say likely they were catching white bass. There certainly are anglers going for cats, but not groups of boats: just a few here and there. White bass are not great eating, but they are fun to catch, and usually easy to catch.

Good for you, by the way. It was smoking hot inshore, so people away from the lake probably saw hot hot is was forecast at home and said the heck with it. Lake breeze is great when you get it, but if the wind switches to the south and it’s hot, look out.
    That makes sense as far as the heat goes at the park. I saw a forecast for a high of 88 in Sandusky for Friday and told the wife we should pick another day. Then I saw east, north east light wind and said we might be ok...pleasant surprise for sure. We have a prolific run of white bass every spring on the Detroit River, it's a great way to introduce kids to fishing as they will hit anything when you find a school. We look for terns diving to find the fish. We actually find them to be fairly good table fare just real bony and a pain to clean.

6. Member
    Sandusky bay has world class catfishing lately. Many 20-30 lb channel cats are being caught.

They are fishing for catfish. I was up there catfishing on Saturday and there was a big catfish tournament going on for veterans. The catfishing is outstanding in that area! 100 fish days are pretty common and that is usually before lunch.

8. Member
    Thanks for the replies everybody!

9. Member
    Try Cedar Point mid week in mid may. there are no wait times for anything.