Best Transducer 3D StructureScan vs Active Imaging 3-1 Transducer for Side Imaging

Ok, I've been running different side imaging transducers since my original HDS unit with an LSS-1. I think the Fish really POPPED with the LSS-1 and the LSS-2. When I went to a Carbon unit I felt like I lost some clarity with just the fish, structure looks great, and that's carried over to the LIVE units. Recently I'm just not seeing the fish like I think I should with my current transducer that's a 3D StructureScan. I've been told years ago by many Lowrance guru's that the 3D StructureScan transducer I'm using now was the best, even though I don't really use the 3D they claimed it was still the best for side imaging.

Now that the newer transducers have been out, is the Active Imaging transducer any better for side imaging than the 3D StructureScan?

Thought???
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    We waiting for data from S3100 module and transducers, after this it's possible to rate SS3D aganis newest transducers, but I suspect, that old school beast from Navico is still best- especially on deep water

3. Member
    ^+1 especially for distance Sidescan
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Comparing AI 3-1 to SS3D I chose SS3D. Last comparison I did was 1 year ago so things might have changed since. I’ve been preferring SS3D since 2018 so this is my 6th year with it. Prior to that I used lss2. Once I get a 16 pro I’ll try the new AI 3-1 HD which is supposed to be lowrances best image yet.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Having used SS3D for quite some time, I switched to 3n1AI because of a lack of fish shadowing. The latest .18 update moved the 3n1HD well past the SS3D IMHO. I now have the 3n1HD and my opinion is still open on that. Very good images on the 3n1AI on 455.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Having used SS3D for quite some time, I switched to 3n1AI because of a lack of fish shadowing. The latest .18 update moved the 3n1HD well past the SS3D IMHO. I now have the 3n1HD and my opinion is still open on that. Very good images on the 3n1AI on 455.
    Not in my opinion; I never had difficulty spotting fish shadows or returns from fish with mine.

Comparing to the 3-in-1 AI I have on my river boat, the SS3D is slightly clearer and has more range.