Thread: Surging motor

Surging motor

Serial number: 2B770913
    2020 250 ProXS

So was on the water Friday and it was in the high 80’s. When I would go up on plane boat came out of the hole fine. As soon as it planned off it would start surging. After a little while it would clear it’s self and run fine. It did the same thing last year a few times and then it was ok. At the end of the day it didn’t clear its self. Any ideas?
    Last year I had a belt break and had the flywheel and some plastic around it replaced.

2. Member
    Ideas are speculation that does you no good. It's a dealer trip for facts for you.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

3. Member
    My engine had symptoms similar to yours, wound up being the O2 sensor.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Has the complete 3yr / 300hr Maintenance been completed?

When was the fuel filter last replaced?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Motor has 160 hours. I just replaced the plugs. I am picking up the filter this weekend to change. The belt and impeller were replaced when it broke last summer. Had it out yesterday and ran better for most of the day. Had a few surges in the afternoon. Seems like outside temperature has some bearing on it.
    I ran most of the gas out of it yesterday and filled tank with new gas. Going out again tomorrow. Hopefully it was gas. Still going to change the filter

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely get that filter changed, as well as the thermostat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Do you try to avoid ethanol fuel?

8. Brent Zieska
    Had a buddy with the same issue. It ended up being the primer bulb in the fuel line that ended up being the issue. Dealership removed the primer bulb and the problem was solved.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Definitely get that filter changed, as well as the thermostat.
    Hey Don, just curious about the thermostat change recommendation....can that also cause the symptom the OP described?

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    Hey Don, just curious about the thermostat change recommendation....can that also cause the symptom the OP described?
    "Probably" not but I won't say "never" as there's just too many variables.