Lightning detector?

If I'm not mistaken, the lightning detector used to be standard on the Puma STS.

My 2023 doesn't have it, and I've been meaning to ask why.

Was it just one of those things that people wound up not liking? I've read about people unhooking them.

No big deal... just curious.
    2023 Puma STS

They still have them and it is offered as an option in 2023. The unit had interference and was false triggered by some brushless trolling motors and other electronic parts.

3. Member
    This is one area where I feel BassCat could improve.

It would have been nice to see a screen, paper, or something with all options listed. I was very worried I was going to miss something.

On the other hand, some of what I did specify didn't get added anyway.

I wouldn't have chosen the lightning detector anyway, but I had no clue it was an option.

If BassCat had sent me something that said "here are the options we have, we are starting your build next week. Sign off that this is correct" ... I would have been a lot happier in the end. A few things were wrong on my boat. Some as big as carpet color. A transducer was mounted directly to the transom that I didn't order. I specifically ordered my boat without graphs, but BCB took it upon themselves to add a transducer I wasn't going to use and screw it to the transom rather than a TSS to the jackplate. The wrong gauges were installed. The graph mounts at the console weren't installed and gauges were installed in the wrong holes.

Overall I'm happy with the boat, but there's no excuse for a boat not to be built to exact customer specifications for the 6 figure price that's being paid.

Some of this could have been miscommunication from the dealer to BCB. I'm just saying clearly presenting all options to the customer, then having something for the customer to review and sign off on could eliminate this.
    Last edited by TNReb; 06-04-2023 at 10:24 AM.
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    Not to sound crass, but you should've refused to take delivery. No excuse for any of that, especially wrong color carpet whether it's the dealers fault or Basscats. If I had to guess, I'm betting most of these issues were the dealers fault. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post

It would have been nice to see a screen, paper, or something with all options listed. I was very worried I was going to miss something.

I wouldn't have chosen the lightning detector anyway, but I had no clue it was an option.

If BassCat had sent me something that said "here are the options we have, we are starting your build next week. Sign off that this is correct" ... I would have been a lot happier in the end. A few things were wrong on my boat. Some as big as carpet color. A transducer was mounted directly to the transom that I didn't order. I specifically ordered my boat without graphs, but BCB took it upon themselves to add a transducer I wasn't going to use and screw it to the transom rather than a TSS to the jackplate. The wrong gauges were installed. The graph mounts at the console weren't installed and gauges were installed in the wrong holes.

Overall I'm happy with the boat, but there's no excuse for a boat not to be built to exact customer specifications for the 6 figure price that's being paid.

Some of this could have been miscommunication from the dealer to BCB. I'm just saying clearly presenting all options to the customer, then having something for the customer to review and sign off on could eliminate this.
    the stuff you are mentioning is dealer communication or lack there of.
    your dealer should have sat down with you and went over every option and lightning detector would of been one of the options you could approved or Denied.
    the boat comes std with helix 7 graphs. They should have put “mount no electronics and ship loose”
    as far as the wrong gauges, of the order sheet FROM the dealer TO bass cat showed certain gauges and your boat came with different ones then I’m sure BCB would make it right. Same to go with carpet. You need to confirm the carpet color was right on the order sheet that BCB received.
    I say these things because I have never had an issue of something like a transducer mounted when it shouldn’t be or wrong color carpet. (My boat came with the wrong color carpet, but it was a mistake on my part after I looked at order sheet) so there is nothing I can do because BCB installed what they were told to do.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    They still have them and it is offered as an option in 2023. The unit had interference and was false triggered by some brushless trolling motors and other electronic parts.
    Mine, on a 2022 Cougar, drives me crazy. It beeps, and flashes, all day with nary a cloud in the sky.
    My TM is a Garmin Force and Garmin Electronics along with Livescope. I guess it's allergic to Garmin stuff.
    I should have listened to Sherm and disconnected it, as he suggested.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Not to sound crass, but you should've refused to take delivery. No excuse for any of that, especially wrong color carpet whether it's the dealers fault or Basscats. If I had to guess, I'm betting most of these issues were the dealers fault. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
    I did consider it.. but the choice was either accept the boat or wait for a new one. I already waited 8.5 months, and my dealer was holding a lot of my money because they sold my trade-in for me. I wasn't willing to play the waiting game and there was no way to change the console, carpet, etc quickly.
    2023 Puma STS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    the stuff you are mentioning is dealer communication or lack there of.
    your dealer should have sat down with you and went over every option and lightning detector would of been one of the options you could approved or Denied.
    the boat comes std with helix 7 graphs. They should have put “mount no electronics and ship loose”
    as far as the wrong gauges, of the order sheet FROM the dealer TO bass cat showed certain gauges and your boat came with different ones then I’m sure BCB would make it right. Same to go with carpet. You need to confirm the carpet color was right on the order sheet that BCB received.
    I say these things because I have never had an issue of something like a transducer mounted when it shouldn’t be or wrong color carpet. (My boat came with the wrong color carpet, but it was a mistake on my part after I looked at order sheet) so there is nothing I can do because BCB installed what they were told to do.
    Some of it may be dealer communication. Some of it is stuff that is on the build sheet that was with my boat and just wasn't right.

I'm not trying to whine about it. I like the boat and I'm happy with it. If it were lost/stolen today, I would order another one from the same dealer. I am just saying that I was constantly nervous about something being wrong due to the lack of clarity in the options that are available and exactly what was being built. Those fears turned out to be valid. I'm just pointing out that there is room for improvement in the process, especially with today's technology.
    2023 Puma STS

9. Member

Given the cost of ANY new rig, I would not be happy with these misses. All brands are affected it appears.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

10. Member
    I did consider it.. but the choice was either accept the boat or wait for a new one. I already waited 8.5 months, and my dealer was holding a lot of my money because they sold my trade-in for me. I wasn't willing to play the waiting game and there was no way to change the console, carpet, etc quickly.
    i "took" my boat instead of refusing it and almost a year later I am still dealing with issues!!
    Last edited by mactlman; 06-05-2023 at 08:01 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Some of it may be dealer communication. Some of it is stuff that is on the build sheet that was with my boat and just wasn't right.

I'm not trying to whine about it. I like the boat and I'm happy with it. If it were lost/stolen today, I would order another one from the same dealer. I am just saying that I was constantly nervous about something being wrong due to the lack of clarity in the options that are available and exactly what was being built. Those fears turned out to be valid. I'm just pointing out that there is room for improvement in the process, especially with today's technology.
    I understand and I don’t think you are whining at all. But I just wanted to state what I have seen in the process. I have seen where the build sheet sent to customer from dealer vs the build sheet sent to bass cat from dealer be a little off.
    by no means am I saying that bass cat is fault free in every instance as we are all human. But I would really think that something like the carpet would be correct in color. That’s a major deal.

12. Member
    I’m feeling pretty fortunate, then. My dealer went down the entire list of options with me. He gave me solid advice about each, and whether it should be a priority or a “maybe” when choosing options and being mindful of budget range. In the end, I got exactly what I wanted from the dealer, and BCB.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye