Thread: Sabine Sunday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    mark is on the Orange County, Sabine River committee. Don’t say a word against this bass tourney or he will tell you 49 times how great the river is without fishing the damn thing haha
    It will be sad seeing the thousends of people flocking there for 5 fish 4.8 pound limits. I thought things were Bigger in Texas.

Not to worry the Dead Fish Derby in Michigna is next. Looking forward to going to the weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    mark is on the Orange County, Sabine River committee. Don’t say a word against this bass tourney or he will tell you 49 times how great the river is without fishing the damn thing haha

I do like the place a lot. Fished it and had a great time. People are entitled to not like the river. Different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    It will be sad seeing the thousends of people flocking there for 5 fish 4.8 pound limits. I thought things were Bigger in Texas.

Not to worry the Dead Fish Derby in Michigna is next. Looking forward to going to the weigh in.

You must be hitting that bottle early this morning....

4. Member
    I’ve fished a number of places that I enjoy and will gladly fish again when I get the chance, even though the catch [both quantity and size] is not great. Some places just line up well for a style of fishing I enjoy, and often a big part of the enjoyment is just that those waters are different—offer a style of fishing that I don’t get enough of. That said, when I think of a pro tournament being held on those waters, it might be interesting to see the results, but live viewing would be, well, tedious.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    Hope Mosley wins.
    Be surprised if he gets caught.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

That's good, gets them off the lakes where you can catch true Texas giants.

7. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    You must be hitting that bottle early this morning....
    If ya gonna drink all day you have to start early. Have a great day. Be safe if your working.

8. Member
    All it is money and they will come to wherever you want them. Commerce City, Mi., or Nashville.

Mosley in drivers seat with early limit.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

If ya gonna drink all day you have to start early. Have a great day. Be safe if your working.

Good point. Thank you sir. You as well.

11. Member
    This tournament is already over time for yard work.

12. Member
    Limit size is similar to our main local tournament lake. 10 lbs will win 95% of tournaments--not uncommon to get a check with 8 lbs. Also, generally can catch lots of fish and 5 to 6 pound limit after culling through 25 fish is typical. It makes for interesting strategy decisions:

Option 1: Fish for bites. Catch as many as possible and hope that a few of those cull up ounces to get you to 8 to 10 pounds.

Option 2: Specifically target bigger fish with bigger baits or in types of water where you might get bigger bites. You will likely catch fewer than 10 fish. Still going to catch mostly little fish so the risk here is that if you don't get that big bite you don't catch enough smaller ones to cull up the ounces.

Throw into that mix that the lake is 90% spotted bass. The largemouth will weigh more but they are difficult to come by at times. And the spots and LM live in different types of water to some extent. So do you go fish the main lake and beat up on spotted bass and hope no one gets on a good largemouth bite? If so, you might have 8 lbs and win. Or do you run up the arms and go fish for largemouth and know you will have a few spots mixed in, but if you get the largemouth bites, you might have around 10lbs and win?

There are some "get bites, catch spots, cull to 8 lbs" guys that do well consistently. There are also a group of "fish for LM, fewer bites, finish high or get beat" guys that do well and typically get a check or finish middle of the pack. Then there is a group that just goes fishing and doesn't overthink it.

Well, I don't like the "just go fishing" approach. I prefer to overthink everything--that gives me a chance to mentally roll around my plans all week. I like throwing jigs, swimbaits, and bigger cranks/topwaters, so I typically fish up the arms for LM and assume I will have a few spots mixed in.

Long post to say, these kind of systems--like the Sabine--require a bit more strategy than just tying on a DD22 and throwing at humps all day--not that there is no strategery in those lakes as well. In a tournament, everyone is on the same water. The end weight compared to other lakes a bit irrelevant. The person with the most weight on the lake for that day wins.

Now for just a fishing trip, I'll run down to Falcon when I can. But catching a 3 pounder on my local lake in a tournament gives me the same adrenaline rush as catching an 8 pounder at Falcon in a tournament. In fact, the local 3 pounder is more difficult to come by than the Falcon 8.

Pulling for Mosley and Welcher!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    Bass definitely isn’t being favorable to Keith on the live coverage. They only show his 10 second fish catch clips. When the 4 box live pops up they show 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place currently. 2nd place KP nowhere to be seen

15. Member
    Keith could be out in the boonies with little to no live cell reception.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerryanR73 View Post
    Keith could be out in the boonies with little to no live cell reception.
    It was sketchy yesterday.

17. Member
    He’s fishing the same pond he has all 4 days. Reception is fine. He’s live now. They’ve got him labeled as matty wong, but he’s live

18. Member
    I’m still laughing at Zona saying Welcher looks like Snake Pliskin.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnewer View Post
    not to mention the latest tales of our favorite hero GEE MAN who I one fail swoop lectured the world on the rules of bass wh
    At the same time saving a 10 year old from a bicycle wreck and chasing down a crack head on a motor cycle all while finishing 87th place
    it’s a shame thr world will be robbed of two more days of bs story telling that the toothless masses eat up like butterscotch pudding.
    LOL -- I'm glad someone else on here can see through his bullcrap. That video where he called out Poche and mansplained the "rule book" was the most notable thing he's done on the elite series all year.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    Go Mosley. He’s been 2nd place bridesmaid 4 times
    He has five seconds, three times he was beat by Jason Christie.

P01135809

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast