2021 250proxs “rattle”

BC3C19B9-77B9-4B17-BA88-609EE661D195.jpegSerial number: 3B041305

I am having a “rattle” issue on the backside when coming off of pad and idling. If I give it any kind of gas, the rattle goes away. To me, it makes me think something in the exhaust port is coming lose because it only rattles when I come off plane and water is settling down through the motor. Never rattling on first start up of day. Iv got ~400hrs on the motor, this issue started about 5hrs ago. Anybody ever have this issue or any thoughts on what it could be/seriousness?

Thank you!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird-man11 View Post
    BC3C19B9-77B9-4B17-BA88-609EE661D195.jpegSerial number: 3B041305

I am having a “rattle” issue on the backside when coming off of pad and idling. If I give it any kind of gas, the rattle goes away. To me, it makes me think something in the exhaust port is coming lose because it only rattles when I come off plane and water is settling down through the motor. Never rattling on first start up of day. Iv got ~400hrs on the motor, this issue started about 5hrs ago. Anybody ever have this issue or any thoughts on what it could be/seriousness?

Thank you!
    Does it rattle in neutral? What kind of hub do you have in your prop? Could you be getting "prop rattle"?
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

I agree . Check the prop/hub
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please advise:

-Does it rattle only in forward, or also in neutral?

-What type of jackplate (if any) do you have?

-Have engine and jackplate hardware been re-torqued with a TORQUE wrench to specifications?

-300 hr Service performed using ALL required components?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please advise:

-Does it rattle only in forward, or also in neutral?

-What type of jackplate (if any) do you have?

-Have engine and jackplate hardware been re-torqued with a TORQUE wrench to specifications?

-300 hr Service performed using ALL required components?
    Follow up:

Only rattled in forward.
    10” bob’s hydraulic plate
    300 service done @ midway marine, Fulton, MS
    Torque wrench always used, appeares prop nut needed re torqued. Rattle gone after tightening.
    Thank you all for the replies!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gotta love a simple solution!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor