Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Make Customers Accountable

So last Saturday had a lousy day at work thanks to poor customers and no shows. It got me thinking if as a business anyone can leave me a bad review for any reason at all, we need to be able to leave customer reviews. If you have a profile to leave reviews, then when getting service anyplace you have to leave your info to be reviewed as a customer. Were you on time, rude, attitude, good or bad etc. I want to be able when you want an appt with me to look you up and say no thanks, I don’t want you as a customer. We have to bend over backwards in fear of a bad review, I would like to see an even playing field. Just another rant as I can’t sleep and have to work in a couple hours.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

2. Member
    First line of any business should be and always will be customer service First. Try to change that and you might as well close the doors early.

This reminds me of that great episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where the Uber driver gave Larry a bad review, so other Uber drivers wouldn’t pick him up anymore.

4. Member
    I know exactly what you mean and I agree.

If you work in a service industry long enough you build a customer base if you do a good job.

Bad reviews for customers would mean you have none. Every time I’m aggravated I remind myself that my clients pay my bills.

sounds like you need to find a new line of work where you don't have to deal with customers ,

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    sounds like you need to find a new line of work where you don't have to deal with customers ,
    For a short time I was a service writer, then management. I quickly went back to being a technician. Make more money and generally don’t have to deal with people. I have to just enough to be annoyed. I am also just annoyed by people on a daily bases even outside of work, just think in general people should be held more accountable for behavior.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

8. Member
    I’m 100% with the OP, The customers aren’t always right. The fallacy that they are is the reason so many nowadays think they’re entitled to special treatment or pricing.

When I worked at gander it was almost a daily occurrence that people would use the “customer is always right” line. I remember when a grown woman sat on the floor, pouted like a 2yo and refused to get up unless we gave her a discount on a north face. the sign and ad clearly said “Columbia jackets 20% off”. her husband said it doesn’t matter what the sign listed, the customer is always right so we had to do what they wanted.

I worked at a restaurant that had $10 Chicken Riggies on Wednesdays. A lady (whom my dad actually worked with) and her mom would come in every week and order mild riggies, and every week they’d complain it was too hot so part of their bill would be comped, yet they still take the “spicy” riggies home. They raved about the service until One day the chef had enough and didn’t put in any cherry peppers at all, so there was no spicy ingredients. they still complained. When the food came back he simply put it in a different bowl then brought it over himself. They claimed they loved it and it was “just the right amount of spicy”, but still wanted it comped because it was wrong the first time. When the chef told them it was the same batch they had before The lady used the line “the customers are always right” line and demanded the food be comped. When it wasn’t, they walked out without paying and wrote bad reviews about how the service sucks on every platform they could.

so for the “customer is always right” crowd, what would you do? Keep getting screwed to keep them happy or stop letting entitle people take advantage of you?
    Last edited by ECobb91; 06-03-2023 at 06:26 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I’m 100% with the OP, The customers aren’t always right. The fallacy that they are is the reason so many nowadays think they’re entitled to special treatment or pricing.

When I worked at gander it was almost a daily occurrence that people would use the “customer is always right” line. I remember when a grown woman sat on the floor, pouted like a 2yo and refused to get up unless we gave her a discount on a north face. the sign and ad clearly said “Columbia jackets 20% off”. her husband said it doesn’t matter what the sign listed, the customer is always right so we had to do what they wanted.

I worked at a restaurant that had $10 Chicken Riggies on Wednesdays...
    I had to look up Chicken Riggies. Sounds good. Are those cherry peppers preserved or fresh?
    Last edited by csurp; 06-03-2023 at 06:57 AM.

10. Member
    The customer is not always right. My employees that are there 8hr a day 40 hours a week are more important than one customer that comes in once per month, I'll help a customer as much as I can , try to understand their position , and go out of my way for them every time , but if they want to insult or upset the staff I draw the line there.

Sign in a bar:
    "The customer is always right but the bartender makes the rules"

It is in mine. I pay for my mistakes and my customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    First line of any business should be and always will be customer service First. Try to change that and you might as well close the doors early.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

12. Member
    I give this thread 1 STAR if it was up for Google review.
    I stopped adding my reasons, and only doing stars. Because I have heard some get sued. Stupid you can't freely express your thoughts and opinions anymore without possible recourse. I get a reply from therapy, can I let them know why I rated my experience 2 stars. Them therapist in it have no compassion for a person hurting, and talk smack trying to push you to do stuff you can't. And try and make you feel bad, even though they know MRI readings say you are screwed up. Then after therapy found out through MRI my shoulder was definitely messed up like I knew. But not going to go into detail in a response since they are a big outfit, and I don't want to be sued even through I don't have a pot to pee in anymore.
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 06-03-2023 at 07:42 AM.

Some people are made of dirt and they and their money just aren’t worth it. The blame is on the big retailers who implement ridiculously liberal return policies that take “the customer is always right” to extremes. They can absorb the associated losses where a small business can’t. For the concept of “the customer is always right” to work as intended, it needs to be a 50/50 deal with an honest seller and an educated buyer both using decency & common sense as part of the equation.The reality is the morons have tilted that seesaw in their favor but ultimately it’s the sellers fault for caving in. Personally, I’d go out of my way to support a business drew a line in the sand and told the chiselers to go suck rocks vs caving in to them.

No wonder the trend is going away from brick & mortar and to online/drop ship … it’s more efficient, less overhead etc. and takes much of the people factor out of it. You can only take a fly buzzing you for so long until it needs to go …
    Ranting incoherently

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    I had to look up Chicken Riggies. Sounds good. Are those cherry peppers preserved or fresh?
    it’s a very regional/area specific dish, I’ve found it doesn’t really exist beyond outside of a 1hour radius from Utica and every person does it differently. Some add olives, others add onions. We add more heavy cream to form “pink sauce” while my brother adds just enough to make it an “orange sauce” like the restaurant did it (he was one of the cooks there). Other places barely add any heavy cream. There’s also sausage, meatball, and shrimp riggies too. The beauty of it is everyone has their own unique take, kinda like homemade pasta sauce. It’s fun going around and trying a bunch of different places cause they’re all different and everyone fights for the title of best riggies in the valley.

it’s made with pickled cherry peppers. Here’s the recipe from the restaurant (it’s missing the cherry peppers because my wife doesn’t do spicy food, but the cherry peppers are added when you add the chicken and garlic).

IMG_4526.jpeg

IMG_4527.jpeg
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

It's a slippery slope. Customers can almost always find another business but a business without customers doesn't last long.

16. Member

17. Member
    Being in commercial insurance I had to learn to deal with just about every type of personality. Since most were business owners like oil distributors, new franchise auto dealers, manufacturers and farm equipment dealers, most had egos. Out of hundreds of customers there were only two that I could not deal with.
    One was from Iran that owned a convenience store chain. He cussed my assistant for no apparent reason while I happened to be in the office. I told him we did not need or want his business. He then begged me for another chance. I made him apologize to my assistant and told him if he ever did it again we were done, He was a model customer from then on.
    Another customer went out for non pay after I had begged him to pay his bill. He called the home office and complained that I didn’t help him . He lied and I convinced the company not to reinstate them.

I had a large multi make auto franchise dealer that would throw fits in front of customers and would fire secretaries and salesmen in front of customers. I learned that there was an administrative assistant that was about 5’2 and would put up with nothing. I made friends with her instantly and she told the owner that if he ever got in to me that she would grab him by the short hairs. I used to kid the dealer by saying the only way I put up with you is because you are worth the commission. Never had any problem until he beat a customers car with an Umbrella. Then I told him that we would pay that claim but that would be the last one. That he was no longer worth the commission. We parted ways. He never knew this but I helped Louise get a job at another dealership that treated their customers and vendors very good.
    Last edited by geodebasser; 06-03-2023 at 09:06 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    This reminds me of that great episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where the Uber driver gave Larry a bad review, so other Uber drivers wouldn’t pick him up anymore.
    LOL that was a great episode

Some people are just ******** and want to hose you down. I so some part time work for a health care company. One patient messed up and missed a payment. She called, we waived the late fee. Just send it in ASAP, Thank You. Carry on. 2 weeks later still no payment. A list of excuses a mile long. Said we’d waive the fee again if she’d pay by card over the phone right now. More excuses, can’t find her card, etc. Then she adds the threats. “My son is a computer guy and will see to it that you’ll never get another client” going to call BBB, health dept, her congressman, and the Pope. She hangs up. Calls 10 minutes later with the card, pays, then asks if we can schedule another 2 weeks of service. The payment cleared and yeah we put her on the calendar. I’d go insane dealing with folks like that. Passengers are the #1 reason I switched to cargo. Boxes don’t bitch. I would suck as a customer service rep. Probably get fired after the 3rd call I took.

I also think if a person or business starts to have an adversarial outlook towards customers tgat a reset is needed. It's a recipe for disaster.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast