Question on guide spacing

20230602_182201_resized.jpg

Tried my hand at rodmaking only to learn I suck at wrapping guides. Gave the unfinished rods to a custom rodbuilder and this is what came back. To me it looks like the spacing is wrong or am I missing something? Left to Right in the picture: 7'M Fast spinning,7' MH Fast casting, 6'10" ML Fast spinning.

Allen

2. Member
    I think the only way to see if they will work is a static line test. If the line doesn’t touch the blank and it casts well then it might be fine.

3. Member
    I agree. Only way to find out if the spacing is good is a static line test and test casting.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

If it was done correctly they would have used a guide spacing chart as a guideline then after placing the guides and tip top on static load tested it and tweaked the placement. A lot of times, I see a need for an extra running guide on casting rods conventional wrapped.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

5. Member
    Looks like he did his job, no two of those rods should look the same because of power and action differences. Want them to all look the same? Buy a factory rod, many times all rods with the same length blanks and grips have the same spacing, very 70's. There is absolutely no need for a spacing chart if you use the static guide placement procedure that has proven itself over decades of use. Simple, repeatable, works on all rods, no matter the type.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 06-02-2023 at 07:43 PM.

Looks good to me from the pic. You have all different rods so the guides are not goin to be the same. If want to know look at a chart.

7. Member
    Yeah they look fine. The ones that really matter in terms of spacing on the spinning rods are the stripper and the next few down to the choke.

Looks good to me. I don't typically use a spacing chart myself. I eye ball them then static test and adjust to what looks right. If I'm building a matching pair I'll match each rods spacing to each other but the load test and seeing where the line runs in relation to the blank is your main concern.