Engine for 95 202

I have a 95 202 FNS with a 96 200hp merc efi. It’s been acting up a bit (loses power for a few seconds at high speed then catches again). I’ve been really happy with that engine (owned the boat for 13 years) with little to no issues but the mechanic is having a hard time figuring it out. I wouldn’t care too much as the lake I normally fish in isn’t too big and I could usually limp home on the troller if necessary. However we are going to Lake Powell in a few months and can be 40 to 50 miles up lake so don’t want to get stranded. I’m going to try and get this worked out in the next few weeks but if I can’t I’m thinking about repowering or maybe replacing the powerhead (27 year old engine so maybe time) Anyway was wondering what to do.

Robert

2. Member
    Have you posted on 2.5 merc forum and asked Don?

I would repower vs rebuilding what you have if you get to that point.

3. Member
    Honestly I would repower with a new Merc 4 stroke, you already have the wiring harness. I went to a 4 stroke motor several years ago and my Champion 206 is a different boat. In a good way!

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    My 93 200 EFI got to doing the same. It ended up being the diaphragm in the fuel pump that had gotten hard over the years and wasn't pumping well at high RPM. It's not a difficult task if you're mechanically inclined. I ordered the diaphragm kit from boats.net.

If it only does it once it warms up then it’s a classic sign of the ECU. Simons racing can rebuild it and have it back to you in less than a week.

6. Member
    Thanks guys. The engine has been pretty bullet proof since I’ve owned it so if it’s something simple (meaning not too expensive) I’d like to fix it Like I said I haven’t had time to run it at higher rpm’s but will soon. My concern with repowering with a 4 stroke is weight. I repowered my ocean boat with 4 strokes and had to add floatation.

Robert

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The fuel pump rebuild is pretty cheap, especially if you can do it yourself. If it don't fix it then you can decide to spend more on it. Guarantee you the diaphragm in my pump was like a piece of shoe leather.

8. Member
    Weight shouldn’t be an issue. I have a 250xs optimax on my 97 202 and it’s fine. Been on there for 13 years now

9. Member
    HOW SHE RUN JUST REPOWERED MINE SAME BOAT SAME MOTOR 2018 MOTOR

10. Member
    79 with 2 guys, fishing load, 3/4 tank gas

11. Member
    NICE! I could use a little help with set up? How is your boat set up If you don't mind me asking?

12. Member
    8 inch rapid jack, 27 tempest plus 2 holes open 1 large plug. I have torquemaster 1 lower, your motor may have different lower unit.

13. Member
    riverby flats caretaker, Telephone Tx./lake fork texas
    repowered my 95 202.

20220908_181259.jpg