Research and send Sheriff's deputies to wrong place for wrong man.

2. Member
    Well, at least nobody got shot but it would sure make me think twice about calling a crisis center.

Love this line, "The visit grew tense after the second deputy asked about the location of the permit. He told Williams he should not have stepped out of his home without the permit on him."

So you can't have a firearm on your own property without a permit in your possession?
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Well, at least nobody got shot but it would sure make me think twice about calling a crisis center.

Love this line, "The visit grew tense after the second deputy asked about the location of the permit. He told Williams he should not have stepped out of his home without the permit on him."

So you can't have a firearm on your own property without a permit in your possession?
    I actually thought you could in Florida, concealed on your own property. But I did a search, and result said in your house. I have to remember before I step out to put my wallet in my pocket. I used to not, knowing I wasn't leaving my property, and thinking I was legal.
    But you are correct. Atleast nobody got shot. I just thought it was crazy the VA hot line called and gave them incorrect information.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post

This was exactly my takeaway when I read it this morning. I started to type a response but got distracted with calls from the sickly in my household (they have a cold), and ultimately thought maybe I’d revisit after the day is done and things are winding down.

For the life of me, I can’t think of a reason for *that* comment by the deputy. Instead of saying or doing something about securing the weapon during the contact, which would be de-escalating a scene they thought was about potential suicide, this deputy antagonized and patronized this veteran. That’s really been bothering me a bunch today, really. Especially right after Memorial Day.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    This was exactly my takeaway when I read it this morning. I started to type a response but got distracted with calls from the sickly in my household (they have a cold), and ultimately thought maybe I’d revisit after the day is done and things are winding down.

For the life of me, I can’t think of a reason for *that* comment by the deputy. Instead of saying or doing something about securing the weapon during the contact, which would be de-escalating a scene they thought was about potential suicide, this deputy antagonized and patronized this veteran. That’s really been bothering me a bunch today, really. Especially right after Memorial Day.
    Keep in mind that you can't get any context from the quoted text. That coupled with the typically bad reporting we see these days makes it a bit challenging to understand what happened. It could have been "Boy, you need to have that permit on you before you step out the door, you got me?!" or it could have been "Hey, Mr. Williams, you really should have your permit on you if you leave your house with a concealed weapon." I'm not saying I think it was one or the other, I just caution against drawing a firm conclusion from what was printed. Mostly because, as I stated above, reporting today is generally terrible, leaves out details and tends to lean toward intentionally inflammatory to gain more clicks.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Keep in mind that you can't get any context from the quoted text. That coupled with the typically bad reporting we see these days makes it a bit challenging to understand what happened. It could have been "Boy, you need to have that permit on you before you step out the door, you got me?!" or it could have been "Hey, Mr. Williams, you really should have your permit on you if you leave your house with a concealed weapon." I'm not saying I think it was one or the other, I just caution against drawing a firm conclusion from what was printed. Mostly because, as I stated above, reporting today is generally terrible, leaves out details and tends to lean toward intentionally inflammatory to gain more clicks.

don’t read it , watch the video

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    I actually thought you could in Florida, concealed on your own property. But I did a search, and result said in your house. I have to remember before I step out to put my wallet in my pocket. I used to not, knowing I wasn't leaving my property, and thinking I was legal.
    But you are correct. Atleast nobody got shot. I just thought it was crazy the VA hot line called and gave them incorrect information.
    Is Floridia not a constitutional carry state,, No permit needed?

8. Member
    Okla that question would not even be asked .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Is Floridia not a constitutional carry state,, No permit needed?

That doesn't start till July, and is Concealed only. So I don't see how with infringements still on it, it is called Constitutional.
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 06-03-2023 at 04:16 PM.

10. Member
    You can open carry on your own property in FL, though.

We had a large police presence initiated after a neighbor in our subdivision was reported to local law enforcement for walking in his yard with his holstered pistol. About 90min of 5-6 cruisers off the radar at this location.

Just don’t conceal your weapon in your own property, even if local law enforcement commands you to vacate your residence (apparently)
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye