Thread: Frog rod?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frog rod?

What is the best 7’ frog rod for sparse cover? Thanks in advance

2. Member
    It’s 7’2” but I like throwing ToadZ in sparse cover with a Zolo Toadface. Light enough tip to really fling it…

3. Scraps
    I don't necessarily have a recommendation cuzz I haven't found the rod. As said, a rod with some "tip" is important. I've been using a Powell 7-2, 4 power rod badged as "extra" fast and it's tiring and fatiguing to use for working a frog as opposed to mat dragging. Lots of guys love that Toadface and ALX has a rod for every application and every taste from what I've seen on their site.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    I just bought an ALX toadface and it loads up very well.

I have used a Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch for a long time.and love it for frogs especially in sparser cover. I have used the Levante Tour Versatile as well but it's a tad stiffer but is a true 7' rod. The Perfect Pitch is 7' 2"

6. Member
    Alx toadface for sure

7. Member
    Dobyns Champion 704, but I’m short

8. Member
    Alx Toadface works well for me.

9. Member
    I like the Expert Bayou.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

The 73xh Expride A.

11. Member
    7'3" XH Expride A....awesome.

12. Member
    The original poster is asking for a 7 foot frog rod, so the 7'3" Expride doesn't feel like a good recommendation here. The closest I come to 7 foot rod is the Loomis GLX 855 JWR or IMX 855 JWR. (I have the GLX.) Both are XH rods with lots of power, both cast well (they have fast tapers even though they're JWRs), and at 7'1" they work well in tighter spaces and allow walking frogs. I find myself taking my 7'3" to 7'4" frog rods on boats and from shore when I need to cast far. I take the 7'1" GLX when I wading and frogging or shore-frogging while surrounded by lots of vegetation.

13. Member
    Falcon makes a 6’11” frog rod that’s really nice for that technique and length requirements. I own the older Cara model but I think they make it in a few lines.

14. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by heelamonster View Post
    Falcon makes a 6’11” frog rod that’s really nice for that technique and length requirements. I own the older Cara model but I think they make it in a few lines.
    Pretty sure Christie uses this rod for more than just frogging too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

If you could handle something a little shorter, and want a high end rod, the Megabass JDM P5 Super Destroyer is an awesome sparse cover frog rod. It is so fun to skip toads and frogs up under docks and overhangs with this rod. At exactly 7', even though it has a lot of power and is crazy versatile, the JDM P5 Tequila Baccarat is a great frog rod. I have no problem throwing baits like a Big Gabot or even a Swamp Donkey around sparse cover with this rod. Obviously these are high end options, not absolutely necessary!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    The original poster is asking for a 7 foot frog rod, so the 7'3" Expride doesn't feel like a good recommendation here. The closest I come to 7 foot rod is the Loomis GLX 855 JWR or IMX 855 JWR. (I have the GLX.) Both are XH rods with lots of power, both cast well (they have fast tapers even though they're JWRs), and at 7'1" they work well in tighter spaces and allow walking frogs. I find myself taking my 7'3" to 7'4" frog rods on boats and from shore when I need to cast far. I take the 7'1" GLX when I wading and frogging or shore-frogging while surrounded by lots of vegetation.
    Caught a few today on a GLX 855 JWR. plenty of power and still a decent tip for accurate casting.

17. Member
    You might be surprised to hear this but I love throwing my Dobyns xp 705 glass in sparse cover or slop. This rod paired with a reel spooled with 30-50 lb power pro will launch a Spro bronzeye a mile. There is also pleany of backbone to bring in 5-6 lbers.

18. Member
    I know your looking for 7', I just got the Ish Tatula AGS rod and it's worth a look. New version, love the grip, it loads great, and it's not all silver.

19. Member
    ALX Toadface works for me.

20. Member
    I use the ALX Toadface for a couple years now and its been really good for me. I just bought my son a Daiwa Tatula Elite 7'4" heavy fast and it's really nice. It's Ish's signature frog rod.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast