XI5 foot pedal power switch

In another thread I described a problem I was having with my XI5 foot pedal not turning the motor to the left. So far I have been living with it and using the remote because I didn't want to get a new pedal and do the power switch mod.

Have these pedals gotten any better over the past few years so that they shut down easily and do not drain batteries fast? The switch mod works great as long as you remember to turn it off, but I would rather not need to install one again. I have also always wondered if there could be a problem with water intrusion but since I don't fish in the rain it hasn't been an issue so far.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    I do not have a direct answer but it seems today's supply of part quality control is the issue. I have one of the first models made and it has been bullet proof for seven years or so with no battery drain issues. I did the xi5 foot petal mode that can be found here on BBC to make it less touchy on contact. If I recall there are 2 sensors, one for left and one for right. I would take it apart and see if it may need a cleaning or if something is missing/broke. It has been years but I think there is a magnet or piece of metal on the bottom that when pressing the petal down the sensor creates a connection that causes the motor to turn. Also, may want to try to reconnect the petal with motor as it was new to rule that out also first. Good luck.

I never shut off the pedals on both mine and never had a dead battery, The pedal is the weakest part of that motor I rarely use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanhick View Post
    I never shut off the pedals on both mine and never had a dead battery, The pedal is the weakest part of that motor I rarely use it.
    Some of the pedals heve defects where the battery would go dead without use

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanhick View Post
    I never shut off the pedals on both mine and never had a dead battery
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Some of the pedals heve defects where the battery would go dead without use
    Does that imply the problem has been resolved and newer pedals don't drain the battery?

As for not using the pedal I think I went a couple of years without using it. More recently I did start using it to tweak my position by just powering the motor on for a second or two. If it is not pointed in the correct direction an adjustment with the pedal is easy.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Does that imply the problem has been resolved and newer pedals don't drain the battery?

As for not using the pedal I think I went a couple of years without using it. More recently I did start using it to tweak my position by just powering the motor on for a second or two. If it is not pointed in the correct direction an adjustment with the pedal is easy.
    They have resolved the battery drain on the pedals