09 250xs sluggish/ mystery bolt

2009 mercury 250 pro xs , serial #1b756305

Boat sat for around 2 weeks. Had a tournament prior, with zero issues. Took it out the other day, noticed it was a bit hard starting with a little puff of smoke. Go to take off and it struggled to get up on plane. (Acted if you were trimmed to far down and blocking exhaust with water. Got off it and tried again, little struggle but got up on pad and ran normal. Not much issue rest of day.

Tournament last night, same things happened.

Only hada minute today to take a look at it, pulled cowl off and noticed this bolt laying down in the bottom. Also found this little white bead with it. I looked around and really only noticed this one location that seems likely it came from, but unsure of white bead.

I typically keep the fuel cell only around half full. Tournament prior I put 10 Gallons in. Could it be a bad batch of fuel?

Appreciate any suggestions on things to look over on it this weekend. Thoughts on that bolt coming out, and if the bead rings any bells.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a lower cowl fastener but believe you have a water leak around that thermostat cover, for sure. Should be addressed.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

duplicate
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-02-2023 at 12:15 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

duplicate
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-02-2023 at 12:16 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Laying in the back left of center below port side cylinder head. 8 MM thread size? If so make sure all twenty head bolts on each head are in place
    Interesting, I had a 1B756619 also a 09 In the shop today, Head bolt center of head port side came out. Pulled the fuel rails and found several bolts backed out and at least 12 of them loose. Starboard side was ok. New seals and head bolts are ordered. White residue from water leak lead straight to it
    Looks like got water leaks as well when I zoom in
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Yep, 8mm bolt that im assuming came from just above where the rubber water hose leads.. I was just astonished that it would have come from there. Looks like I need to go through and torque everything down.

The water leak I believe is an old issue. Pretty sure I got it fixed a year or two ago. Need to clean everything up and run it to verify.

needs new head bolts and O-rings (head gaskets) torqued to spec in proper sequence
    Remove fuel rails to verify this first!
    Seen another case of this a couple of months ago that the owner tried tightening the bolts, ended up with him breaking two head bolts and both thermostat cover bolts then he almost ruined the block trying to drill the bolts out. He drilled two of the bolts at such an angel that he caused a lot of thread damage. Ended up in having to pay me over $1000 bucks to repair it right.
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-02-2023 at 06:52 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    the white ball is part of the cowling drain tubes lower rear part of pans acts as a check check ball to prevent water from entering lower part from underneath in heavy seas
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................