Thread: Parking boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parking boat

Got a new boat and man is it tight fitting into the garage. How well do those trailer dolly work? The one you use on the trailer tongue to push around. I have like 3” on each side.

2. Member
    dual axles are hard to move what new boat did you get?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    3"? Man you got a heap O' trouble. If that's the door clearance, you can make it. I have about the same. I have a single axle though. You can do it if you have enough room to manoeuver the truck outside.

I have about 2.5 per side to get in the door. Hard part is I'm up hill so no chance to unhook and push. Get something bright on both sides of the door frame so you can see it better, since i did that not so bad.

5. Member
    These are the reasons why I still like having my skinnier old boat ('85 Skeeter SF-175) with single axle trailer and built the garage with a double door in both front and back, since I have to make a 90-degree turn into the garage because the HOA didn't approve my plan for a 45-degree garage. You sound like you might need something powered and not just something that you just lower your trailer tongue onto. You may also need dollies that go under the tires to help with maneuvering.

6. Member
    Used a drill powered Trailer Valet XL to move tandem axle Ranger 520 L into a tight garage such as yours. Worked just fine and you can put boat anywhere you like. Worked good for me.
    520 L TDY

If you have tandem axle, go jaks is your best bet. I’ve done it that way for 23 years in the small little garages down here in Dallas.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Poke View Post
    If you have tandem axle, go jaks is your best bet. I’ve done it that way for 23 years in the small little garages down here in Dallas.
    2 or 4? i use 2 but still hard to move the boat by myself?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

On my ZX225 and 20i, I never used any more than 1 on one axle. Jacked it up high and it would pivot with elbow grease. It didn't require moving side to side. When I bought my FX20 I had to buy another style of go jak because trailer tires were too wide for my go jak. I bought a set then. One on each axle, front tires. It pushed quite easily, then, but it took some muscle to get it started. I'm too old for that now so I just built a bigger shop.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Poke View Post
    On my ZX225 and 20i, I never used any more than 1 on one axle. Jacked it up high and it would pivot with elbow grease. It didn't require moving side to side. When I bought my FX20 I had to buy another style of go jak because trailer tires were too wide for my go jak. I bought a set then. One on each axle, front tires. It pushed quite easily, then, but it took some muscle to get it started. I'm too old for that now so I just built a bigger shop.
    i have a 30 x 50 with smooth floors and it still isn't big enough!!
    MAGA

11. Member
    I have a single axle trailer, but I started with a set of the roller dollies and they worked well. Boat pushed laterally easily once you got it moving. I ended up getting rid of them only because I got a bit better backing it into the garage as I had plenty of room to work with.

12. Member
    Practice backing, practice backing, practice backing, practice backing! Go find a parking lot, bring some cones, set the cones up to the width of your garage door and back the trailer between them.

13. Member
    I have a Z20 with 250 four stroke and a 21.5 deep x 22.5 wide garage, I back the boat in and turn it at an angle all with the truck, then I unhook and push in by hand the last few inches back. When all is done the motor is down and turned to starboard and with an inch or two from back of garage and 3 inches on front of garage, it's in.

I used to swing the trailer to the correct angle, but ended up tweaking the trailer jack badly. Had to remove the jack and press it back into original shape, so stopped doing it this way.

14. Member
    I’m in same scenario. I ordered an 18TrX. I’ve looked at the
    trailer dollies on Amazon with a 1000 lb
    tongue weight. Under $200. I hope that works.
    Single axle trailer so I’m gonna try to do
    it by hand first.

I have 6" on either side, but the way I do it is to look in my Rear View Mirror and I have 2 reflective strips on the rear wall that center the boat. By lining the two seat posts together and pointing them to the center of the strips, I can safely get the boat in. When I don't have the seats in, I center using the bow and the motor as the guide.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

16. Member
    3" on each side with a manual trailer dolly? Too close for my comfort. One of the motorized models which cost a bunch may work better.

17. Member
    I have about 4” each side and use the truck. I painted a couple small marks on the floor just to help with alignment. I thought about a motorized dolly also but I think that would actually be harder for me with sloped driveway and all. I have it down pretty good now though, just needed practice.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

18. Member
    I am thinking of the trailer jack the slide around the tires and scoop the wheel up and then the wheel rest on a 4nwheel swivel dolly. Thinking 2 of these on front axle should make it easier to maneuver in garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish0093 View Post
    Got a new boat and man is it tight fitting into the garage. How well do those trailer dolly work? The one you use on the trailer tongue to push around. I have like 3” on each side.

I have the boat, and two other trailers I push around. Get it, you can't go wrong.

https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...lly-60533.html

“You are a legitimate phenomenon ” – Dr. Peter Venkman

20. Member
    I thread the needle (less than 2” each side) both in and out of my garage. It took the first year to figure out a system but now I can do it all by myself.

Get the boat exactly in the middle of the garage opening. Now mark and measure so you can tape off the floor on the drivers side and paint a white line the distance the tires must travel to get the boat completely in the garage. Let the tires follow that white line while backing in.

Next and this is important, with the trailer detached from the truck and the tongue pointing straight out mark a X directly below it with white paint. This should be the exact middle of the garage door opening.

After you back in EACH time center the trailer tongue right over that X so you pull the boat straight out next time. I point the trailer jack tire in the direction it must go and push it that way and use a small block of wood to hold it in place. Of course stop blocks to keep you from backing to far are very important.

Also very important is to make sure the truck is backed in very straight. If you pull it out even at the slightest angle the garage is going fishing with you.

btw I had a Trailer Valet and sold it, it was ok but a hassle IMHO. Using my truck is much better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast