leaking gear lube

2023 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    Serial # 3B382810

Picked up my new boat on 5/2/2023. Did the first 2 hours of break-in. No sign of gear lube leaking.

After first fishing trip noticed gear lube leaking (2.6 hours on motor)

Took boat into dealer and the lower unit was drained, pressure tested, and yellow gaskets around drain and fill holes were replaced. No leak detected when pressure tested.

Fished a full day on May 21 no leak observed.

Fished a half day on May 25 no leak detected.

Walked behind boat today and noticed gear lube leak again.(Motor has 7.0 hours)

Will get it into my dealer ASAP.

Any thoughts as to what could be the issue!

Thank you!
    2023 BassCat Puma STS
    Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Member
    Where do you see it leaking? If it's running down the skeg,it could be coming from the prop shaft seal or the fill bolt gaskets.

3. Member
    It is running down the skeg. Thank you!
    2023 BassCat Puma STS
    Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    More than a fair chance you have a leaking seal behind prop. Check for line behind the prop. Should do a pressure leak-down test. Good luck with finding and repairing the problem!

5. Member
    Thank you!
    2023 BassCat Puma STS
    Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm View Post
    Thank you!
    Come back and tell us what problem/fix was! Help folks learn!

7. Member
    Will do! Getting in to the dealer on Monday morning.
    2023 BassCat Puma STS
    Mercury 250 ProXS

8. Member
    UPDATE: Merc Technician pressure tested the lower unit and no leak was indicated. Drained the gear lube and detected water in it. So the plan is to order a complete seal kit for the gear case and replace all seals. Should be back on the water next week!
    2023 BassCat Puma STS
    Mercury 250 ProXS

9. Member
    Hard to believe the pressure test didn't show anything. I bet it would have if given a few hours but maybe not necessary IDK!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm View Post
    UPDATE: Merc Technician pressure tested the lower unit and no leak was indicated. Drained the gear lube and detected water in it. So the plan is to order a complete seal kit for the gear case and replace all seals. Should be back on the water next week!
    If those items were performed in the order listed, THAT would be why the leak wasn't detected.

ALL lube must be drained, water pump must be removed, test performed at multiple pressures while rotating ALL shafts and checking for leaks with soapy water (kiddie bubble mix works AWESOME).

If no leak is found- it's almost always the drain or vent screw seal(s).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    After what Don said........I would be looking closely at those areas where gaskets seat on the drain and fill points. A burr or slight void would make gasket seating difficult.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If those items were performed in the order listed, THAT would be why the leak wasn't detected.

ALL lube must be drained, water pump must be removed, test performed at multiple pressures while rotating ALL shafts and checking for leaks with soapy water (kiddie bubble mix works AWESOME).

If no leak is found- it's almost always the drain or vent screw seal(s).
    Thank you!
    2023 BassCat Puma STS
    Mercury 250 ProXS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    After what Don said........I would be looking closely at those areas where gaskets seat on the drain and fill points. A burr or slight void would make gasket seating difficult.
    Thank you!
    2023 BassCat Puma STS
    Mercury 250 ProXS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I think Don meant to read his post carefully. He described how to properly check for a lower unit leak, that required no fluid and the water pump removed, and then after it was pressurized you rotated the input and the prop shafts (shafts could have run out or have worn areas at the seal interface) to check for leaks. I think he said if you do all that in the correct order and find no leakage, then it often turned out to be the fill or drain gaskets / screws / interface. However, if you did not use the procedure he mentioned to check for leaks, I think all bets are off on the fill and drain plugs, if I understood his post correctly.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    I think Don meant to read his post carefully. He described how to properly check for a lower unit leak, that required no fluid and the water pump removed, and then after it was pressurized you rotated the input and the prop shafts (shafts could have run out or have worn areas at the seal interface) to check for leaks. I think he said if you do all that in the correct order and find no leakage, then it often turned out to be the fill or drain gaskets / screws / interface. However, if you did not use the procedure he mentioned to check for leaks, I think all bets are off on the fill and drain plugs, if I understood his post correctly.
    Yes indeed. I understood. I will check with the tech that is working on the problem to see if the proper procedure was followed. Thank you!
    2023 BassCat Puma STS
    Mercury 250 ProXS