Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cranking battery question

98 175 EFI. OG680230. I have a 31HDS Diehard crankin battery now. Helix 7 and Solix 12. My battery went dead when I was just fishing the other day. It gets charged when I get home and the night before I go fishing. Need to take it to Advance auto an have it checked. Was thinking of downsizing the battery and getting one just for the engine. Separate battery for electronics. Good idea? My current battery weighs like 60lbs.
    What would yall recommend? I dont know why my battery died. It might be bad?
    Dont know what to do.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    98 175 EFI. OG680230. I have a 31HDS Diehard crankin battery now. Helix 7 and Solix 12. My battery went dead when I was just fishing the other day. It gets charged when I get home and the night before I go fishing. Need to take it to Advance auto an have it checked. Was thinking of downsizing the battery and getting one just for the engine. Separate battery for electronics. Good idea? My current battery weighs like 60lbs.
    Dont know what to do.
    I did and installed an isolator off the cranking battery. It works really well. Any time I am running the big motor and voltage goes above 13.8V, it sends charge to the electronics battery. So throughout the day, I am charging both batteries when I am making a run down the lake.

3. Member
    Dont know what to do.
    I have that same battery and I can 2 9" units a 10" unit and power poles for 8-10 hours with it and have never had a problem. I would say it is going bad or not charging correctly.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DucksnBobs View Post
    I did and installed an isolator off the cranking battery. It works really well. Any time I am running the big motor and voltage goes above 13.8V, it sends charge to the electronics battery. So throughout the day, I am charging both batteries when I am making a run down the lake.
    ^^^^^ now we cooking with grease
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I have that same battery and I can 2 9" units a 10" unit and power poles for 8-10 hours with it and have never had a problem. I would say it is going bad or not charging correctly.
    Thank you. I am going to take it in and have it checked by the store. Thanks again.
    " A Few Good Fish"

Quote Originally Posted by DucksnBobs View Post
    Which isolator did you use? Does this keep it from overcharging or ruining the stator on the engine?
    " A Few Good Fish"

7. Member
    Which isolator did you use? Does this keep it from overcharging or ruining the stator on the engine?
    Not sure about all that business. This is the one I am using, it works well. I made sure I could use my onboard charger still and that it was rated for marine use. I run Active live, a 12" carbon, a 12" HDS live. So not a terrible amount of amperage draw but if you have livewells and other accessories on one battery, it can become a lot pretty quick. Its just peace of mind having it on a separate deep cycle battery. Only thing on my cranking is my big motor and accessories (bilge/livewells/lights etc).

https://www.keylinechargers.com/coll...al-battery-kit

8. Member
    seem these used on lead acid flooded cell batteries with good results , thats very heavy load on stator type alternators though
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    seem these used on lead acid flooded cell batteries with good results , thats very heavy load on stator type alternators though
    lts my understanding that you shouldn’t run AGM’s with a stator (EFI). I heard the battery may heat up or swell. I changed mine for that reason. A few of my wires to the voltage regulator were discolored. I run a helix 12, 1159 and 360 all on a new lead acid cell battery without issues.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

10. Member
    you are correct you should not run those , on stator type alternator

Update.......... Went to Advance Auto this morning. They checked the battery and it checked "good". A little low on CCA. Supposed to be 1000 reads 800. Only 1 yr warranty and Ive had it for 2 1/2 years. Weighing my options. I am going to put it back in the boat an try it again for a trip or 2. I have a small jump box just in case. If it goes dead again I will be buying a new battery.
    This battery has 185 reserve minutes. 1000CCA. I dont think I need that many CCA for my engine. I do not want to go lithium just for safetys sake and its not recommended. So leaves me with another Lead Acid battery. Im open to suggestions. Something with good reserve capacity and good CCA that doesnt weigh so much. This battery weighs like 60lbs.
    Thanks Brian
    " A Few Good Fish"

12. Member
    running the locator units you have you need all you can get , the price you pay , no lithium's for this engine

13. Member
    NAPA part #7234, a beast of a battery but it weighs around 60# also.

Lots of recommendations for batteries plus
    X2 AGM. Is this compatible with my engine?
    " A Few Good Fish"

15. Member
    Dont know what to do.

You are mixing old tech and Roswell 2.0:

The old tech EFI will need a dedicated lead acid battery to handle the stator, and EFI cannot charge or be connected to anything except the lead acid. Any other type of battery will fail.

New Tech - Look into a dedicated lithium for all electronics, pumps, lights. I have 125 AH Ionic running 4 graphs, scope, livewells, nav lights. Usually have 50% reserve left after full day.

Troller on its own dedicated circuit, on lithiums.

Charge lithiums and lead acid (if needed) separately.

Boat may need wire upgrade if not already done.

Shut off graphs when possible.

It won't be cheap.

16. Member
    ^^^^^^ right there

Id like to go down in size. I have a 31HDS now. If I get a 24M battery size and a separate dedicated lithium. What is the minimum cranking amps for just starting the engine?
    " A Few Good Fish"

18. Member
    would use no less than 850 mca

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    should I be using a different isolator Joe? One you recommend instead? I really like the idea of an isolator and a dedicated battery to all the electronics.

20. Member
    marine certified , i do too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast