Hydraulic steering

I think I may have to replace some or all of my steering system. The boat is a 2008 Champion 210. I bought the boat in 2013. The steering has always been sort of stiff to my way of thinking for a hydraulic system. Lately it has developed some binding up or rough spots when trying to turn the wheel. Idling around when you start turning it quickly hits a stop or a bind. If you give it just a wee bit of slack and then begin to turn the wheel with a quick snap you can overcome the bind but it reappears the more you turn. It doesn't matter what direction you turn the wheel. When the boat is on plane it is next to impossible to overcome one of those binding spots. Needless to say it's an immediate safety factor that must be addressed.

Any suggestions on what the repair parts are gonna run me ? I can probably do the install, I think. I don't even know where to look for the replacement parts. I could use some suggestions for that also.

Thanks
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sounds like the system has some air in it, which means you probably have a leak somewhere. My 07 210 got like that and I noticed some seepage at the steering at the cylinder at the outboard. I replaced the seals and haven't had any issues since. Look for leaks, really small ones. Then look this guys videos up. He's good at DIY outboard work. https://www.youtube.com/@outboardst.comoutboardspec8631

3. Member
    Its possible I suppose. I've never had a system with air in it before so I don't know what that feels like. To me it feels like a physical binding of two things hanging up. I guess it could be air but I had the system serviced about a year ago and I don't currently have any observable leaks, seeps, or drips that I know of.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    It may be one of the check valves in the helm.

5. Member
    Thanks for that possibility. Would that be something I could see on the outside of the unit ? Something I could remove, clean and replace ? From my limited research it appears the pump under the helm ? could easily be several hundred dollars. I can replace it if necessary but don't get too excited with the shotgun approach. Looks like I'm about to get some education.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    What helm and steering cylinder do you have?

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Its possible I suppose. I've never had a system with air in it before so I don't know what that feels like. To me it feels like a physical binding of two things hanging up. I guess it could be air but I had the system serviced about a year ago and I don't currently have any observable leaks, seeps, or drips that I know of.
    Steve, on the trailer, mine showed up as a lot of slack in the steering wheel before the outboard would move. On the water, I'd have very little control around neutral then would feel like a bind once it worked around the air. Really a spooky feeling.

8. Member
    Well maybe it is air in the system. I'm gonna try to bleed the system today and see what that does for it.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    I didnt get the system bled today but I did a bit of research and it looks like you can send the pump on the helm to be rebuilt.
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Member
    Well I think I found the gremlin. After talking to a Seastar tech this morning and sharing my situation/experience ( or lack of it LOL ) he suggested the knuckle/u-joint in my tilt mechanism might be faulty. I got home tonight and pulled the steering wheel, removed my switches and the rubber boot and I could see what appears to be a bolt or screw that has backed out and then it also is bent from excessive pulling on the wheel. I also do have some air in the system so a full fluid replacement and system bleed is in order.

Tomorrow I will have a new part on the way and with a stroke of luck I'll be back in service by next Wednesday which would be the next time I "need" the boat. There aint nowhere around here within 100 miles I can get this repair in a week so I hope I can do it myself.

BTW, the SEASTAR tech named Darrell was super helpful. Give em a call if you have concerns. 941-484-6060
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

12. Member
    Update : Ordered a new u-joint/knuckle for my steering on Tuesday morning. I received the replacement kit on Thursday. ( with instructions, lol ). On Friday I removed the old part. Turns out it was just in the nick of time as I was just about to either get stranded or have an accident. I installed the part and then I inspected and tightened everything on the steering cylinder attachments to the outboard. Once done the boat now steers tighter and easier than it ever has since the day I bought it back in 2013. I couldn't be happier and also safer. The part/kit cost me about $300 give or take including shipping and was really simple to install. Everything fit perfectly and I didn't have to make any mods.

Boat Steering solutions were really helpful. Had I taken the boat in for the repair that would have been the last I would see of it for who knows how long. I dragged my feet addressing this out of fear. I was afraid of the high cost of shop labor and the markup on parts. When I basically was forced to address this I found that I could do the repair and the part cost was manageable.

So glad to have this boat steering like a brand new one.
    GETFISHED !!!

13. Member
    Glad you got it fixed.
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS