2013 margay vision touch pad(round one)

Wondering what the options are for getting out of this set up. I am replacing 2 a year it is just a really bad design both from the way it connects to the black box to how fragile the ribbon is and then if the boat is in any rain the thing just stops working. I have the round one on the right side of the steering wheel. Is there a new control panel from the newer boats that can be retrofitted to handle bilge,horn,lights and pump in pump out? Or do I take it to a boat mechanic and see if they can convert to toggle switches or rockers. My issue is when the panel goes out on the water I lose everything, it is just not reliable.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Grapela,

have you chamfered the slot where the ribbon cable goes through. Most are damaged where the cable inserts through the dash and they kink. You should have a chamfer on the edge to reduce the kink and have a softer bend.

3. Member
    I don't know what that is, is it something I can get from Allen? Part of the issue is the way the black box just hangs with zip ties I would imagine the vibration and the waves are causing a lot of the stress on it. Alas condensation seems to be the biggest culprit. Other issue is it is just not a long or strong enough ribbon to work underneath the console. All I have is the slit in the silver ring on the dash where the ribbon goes through, Allen did mention at one time it might be able to be upgraded to the newer set up.

That slit should be chamfered some, where it enters at an angle. That is what causes premature deterioration of the ribbon cable. The box is potted, and vibration would have to be excessive to reduce it's life span. Moisture could cause an issue if the box were upside down and that's accurate.

You could upgrade, though other than the touch pad and ribbon cable failures this has been an excellent mechanical operating system.