Thread: JJ's Magic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JJ's Magic

Anyone ever have any luck getting customer service from them?
    Their product is great, but their customer service is less than non-existent.

I can't figure out how a brand new jar, lid still sealed to the jar, inside a sealed plastic box, has had 90% of it evaporate sitting in a cold basement. I've had it happen once sitting in my garage after about 3 months, tried to contact them, no response, so I felt "ok, my mistake" and just bought a new one. But this one is maybe 6 months old, and the chartreuse dye is more like "severely dehydrated urine yellow" in the bottom 3/16". But jars from 4 years ago are fine. Tried contacting them...nothing. No response again.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    Anyone ever have any luck getting customer service from them?
    Their product is great, but their customer service is less than non-existent.

I can't figure out how a brand new jar, lid still sealed to the jar, inside a sealed plastic box, has had 90% of it evaporate sitting in a cold basement. I've had it happen once sitting in my garage after about 3 months, tried to contact them, no response, so I felt "ok, my mistake" and just bought a new one. But this one is maybe 6 months old, and the chartreuse dye is more like "severely dehydrated urine yellow" in the bottom 3/16". But jars from 4 years ago are fine. Tried contacting them...nothing. No response again.
    Funny you mention this...I bought 2 bottles last year and it did the same thing to me. Couldn't figure it out. Thought it was caused by faulty seals on the bottle.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Shame on you.
    JJ"s magic getting out of the bottle mysteriously is no laughing matter. Technically you're supposed to contact the EPA and let them know of the release. You can speed the process by contacting JJ Polak directly and letting him know.

4. Member
    I had the same thing happen, figured it was my fault for not using it fast enough. However my tackle locker smelled like 3 week old Italian food so I am guessing it off gassed into my carpet. For anything liquid I have begun using saran wrap on the jar then putting the lid on, seems to work so far.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

5. Member
    All the liquids I use in the boat are sealed in heavy duty ziploc freezer bags.

Actually met JJ at a BASS open I was fishing on Douglas many years ago. He gave me a whole sample tray of the different colors. Seemed like a really nice guy.

7. Member
    Yep, I had a bottle disappear as well, not sure how the stuff evaporates in a sealed bottle.

8. Member
    That is why it has magic in the name.

9. Member
    I must be better at storing it than you guys. Bottle that is open hasn’t went down any in a year.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    I must be better at storing it than you guys. Bottle that is open hasn’t went down any in a year.

Mine was in a compartment in the boat, where is one supposed to store it?

11. Member
    I drew JJ as a Co-Angler, at a Bassmaster Open i believe in Florida. He seemed to be a good guy and I honestly was not up to speed on JJ’s Magic. It’s sort of a side gig for him, but I’d bet he’d take care of you.

Funny on contacting to EPA about the TRI reports.

I had a bottle do the same in my basement.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

13. Member
    Had two new bottles do the same

14. Member
    I had a few bottles do the same thing to me, I thought it was a faulty seal but after reading all these comments there is obviously some truth to th evaporating theory.

Have had a few bottles of JJ’s evaporate (or whatever it is). I pretty much quit using it when I lived in south Texas. Could guarantee it would “burp” dye on my hand and/or boat any time I opened it during hot weather. Went back to Spike It Dip n Glo, even though I don’t like it as well.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Good stuff but far too much hassle to use in the boat. I went back to Spike It.

17. Member
    Check out bottles in the store, no two seem to have the same amount. Tried 1 bottle and evaporated noticeably in just a few months. Does not happen with Spike It.

18. Fishing is a Passion
    You will not have that problem with Spike-it, dyes the exact same.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Mine was in a compartment in the boat, where is one supposed to store it?
    Oddly I keep it in a climate controlled garage and as needed pour it into a SpikeIt bottle.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    Oddly I keep it in a climate controlled garage and as needed pour it into a SpikeIt bottle.

I do believe there is something written on the bottle or packaging about keeping it below a certain temperature. As bad as it stinks, it’s not going in my house!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast