Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    And you can monitor it from your phone!! Get the blue tooth model

2. Member
    If it’s something you aren’t relying on to power mission- or life-critical equipment, I’d strongly consider the quiet models at Harbor Freight. Champion would be the next step up. Yamaha and Honda are the cream of the crop. The difference between the three steps in quality, as a very casual or infrequent user, are there but maybe not enough to keep you from buying any of them.

Because I know you’re a bicycle guy, think of them as steps between Shimano groupsets. Tiagra - Ultegra - Dura Ace. There’s a bigger gap between HF-Champion, than there is a gap between Champion/Honda,Yammie.

Just pay for the extra warranty at HF, if you go that route.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

3. Member
    I have nothing against the Predator generator but im not sure its actually a good buy any more. Pretty much across the board you can get a Champion for less money and get more for that money. Take the 2kw quiet generators. The Predator is 620 bucks, you can get a dual fuel 2kw Champion for $578 off amazon . Its quieter, has a significantly better warranty out of the box and can run off propane in addition to gas.

If it were me i would get the Champion dual fuel and run it off propane exclusively. Never have to worry about a gummed up carb using propane and that little 2k will run for days off a 20lb bottle.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    When you google which small generators are most quiet, Honda seems to be the model with others matching Honda in quietness. 3 yrs ago, I bought a Champion 2000 watt that gives out 30 watts of power when running.
    The 2000 in the name is how many watts it puts out. I assume you meant amps, but a 2K gen would only be able to output 16.6amps at 120v.

To the OP, you need to ballpark your amp draw to figure out which generator to buy. What is the max draw for your battery chargers? When you get over the 2000/2500 watt super quiet gens, they tend to get much bigger and heavier.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I like the Champion but why would you think it might be harder to find parts for the Predator.
    I think that Harbor Freight contracts out to the cheapest Chinese manufacturer and as time passes the machine has changed and parts a they age can be hard to get. Not knocking them though they are a pretty damm good copy of the Honda.

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

6. Member
    I'm really disappointed in you guys. Here we are on page 2 and no one has suggested the OP get a solar panel to charge them overnight.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

7. Member
    My Generac 2500i is pretty quiet.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

Bought a Yamaha one a few years ago. Really surprising on how quite it is.

9. Member
    Son has a Predator 3500 from HF and it’s very quiet. He has had it 3 years and so far so good!

10. Member
    FYI.. A lot of people have mentioned harbor freight. The title is a little misleading. There's nothing really ugly here just some good info..

"Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

11. Member
    I am very happy with my Generac as well. It is very quiet.

12. Member
    I have a 2000w wen I got off Amazon for $400 and it's been great.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56203i-20...dv_rp_0_1_ec_t
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

13. Member
    Yamaha. Quiet. Light. Runs 8 hours on a gallon

14. Member
    Great time for this topic to pop up! Going to purchase the Champion 2500 dual fuel at 42% off currently @ Amazon right now. My question to the group, but especially champion owners... yay or nay to the 80$ 4 year protection plan through Amazon? Seems like cheap insurance if something goes south for 20$/year. I plan to use this to run a space heater, coffee maker, phone chargers etc. while sleeping in my 14' covered trailer on shorter weekend hunting trips.

Thanks!

~Smally~

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smally22 View Post
    Great time for this topic to pop up! Going to purchase the Champion 2500 dual fuel at 42% off currently @ Amazon right now. My question to the group, but especially champion owners... yay or nay to the 80$ 4 year protection plan through Amazon? Seems like cheap insurance if something goes south for 20$/year. I plan to use this to run a space heater, coffee maker, phone chargers etc. while sleeping in my 14' covered trailer on shorter weekend hunting trips.

Thanks!

~Smally~
    I say save the money. I dont know if you have ever delt with an Amazon protection plan, i have on a computer monitor i bought and it was hell getting it taken care of when it failed 6 months in. Took them so long i ended up buying another monitor locally so i could work while they jerked me around for 5 months. Never again....

FWIW The generator already comes with a 3 year warranty from Champion so if something goes wrong bring it to a dealer to get it fixed. Odds are you will never need to and odds are you will have it back long before you get resolution from the Amazon protection plan if you did......

I own a Champion 5500w dual fuel inverter and i have had it like 5 years or so now. I have used it quite a bit and in that time its never skipped a beat. I have run mine off propane 100% of the time as well.
    Last edited by jb882; 06-02-2023 at 11:04 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I say save the money. I dont know if you have ever delt with an Amazon protection plan, i have on a computer monitor i bought and it was hell getting it taken care of when it failed 6 months in. Took them so long i ended up buying another monitor locally so i could work while they jerked me around for 5 months. Never again....

FWIW The generator already comes with a 3 year warranty from Champion so if something goes wrong bring it to a dealer to get it fixed. Odds are you will never need to and odds are you will have it back long before you get resolution from the Amazon protection plan if you did......

I own a Champion 5500w dual fuel inverter and i have had it like 5 years or so now. I have used it quite a bit and in that time its never skipped a beat. I have run mine off propane 100% of the time as well.
    Exactly the answer I was hoping to get!!!

Thanks JB882

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Yamaha. Quiet. Light. Runs 8 hours on a gallon
    What size? That would have to be with a very small load. I've had 2 super quiet Yamaha generators, a 2000 and a 3000 (current one). Under even a medium load, they both burned a lot more than a gallon every 8 hours!
    John

I bought a Yamaha
    It's a brushless/invertor for a cleaner sine wave

As with the Hondas
    You can link them with another one to double the output

Quote Originally Posted by Classicxl View Post
    Attachment 524183
    Don't get this one, it ain't quiet!
    That is the kind I am used to.

20. Member
    Honda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast