Thread: Steam

Steam

Serial # 1B539103

I have always read that steam is normal. Sometimes after a long run, I come off plane and the motor is steaming quite a bit. Its never thrown an alarm, motor seems to running fine, water pressure has always been good. I watch WOT temps and its in the 90's and idle temps are 140's. I assume the thermostats are working correctly. I did move into a house 2 years ago and kind of sucked at maintenance the last year. I have to install a new oil reservoir because I am getting the low oil alarm, so I think the sensor or the float have gone bad. SO since I am opening up the cowl, I am getting ready to order in a bunch of stuff just to put fresh everything in it. Plan to:

1) Fresh spark plugs
    2) Change Belt
    3) Pull thermostats and clean
    4) Change water/fuel separator
    5) Pull lower strainer and clean it of any debris
    6) Change water impeller
    7) Change lower unit oil (although I do this every fall before winter and freezes start, I want 0 chance of water freezing in lower unit)

Is there anything else I should do while I am completing all these tasks that might be causing the steam I am seeing. Or am I overthinking the steam since it hasn't been an issue and an alarm hasn't come up. And I am positive it is steam, I even put my hand in it and my hand got wet from the steam. I smelled it and it doesn't smell like oil or gas, its not white smoke, its definitely steam.

2. Member
    Where is the steam coming from? The cooling system dumps water around the exhaust to keep it cooler, so that is why steam is normal. The only other maintenance item would be the poppet valve, but if water temps and temps are all where they should be I don’t think I would mess with it.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Where is the steam coming from? The cooling system dumps water around the exhaust to keep it cooler, so that is why steam is normal. The only other maintenance item would be the poppet valve, but if water temps and temps are all where they should be I don’t think I would mess with it.
    It appears to be coming from around the BOOT idle exhaust. Funny, I literally just stumbled across this link on here and whoever took this video, looks very similar to what is going on with mine. Just wasn't sure if I needed to replace a part or if it was a sign that something was starting to fail.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=816913

4. Member
    Sounds like you've got it covered, good FAQ topic to review as a refresher.

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    common on cool humid days /mornings
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................