Motor cuts out when shifting

1150F23HD
    2B051372
    2013 150XL 4S

Newbie here
    My new to me motor sometimes cuts out on me when I shift from forward to neutral. It's like I turned the key off. It seems to happen in clusters. One time out it doesn't do it then next time it will do it 5-6 times in a row. 2 strange things I 've notice are first i had it out 6 times last weekend and it only happened on my evening trips and second, when it happens I can shift into forward then to neutral and the motor starts without me touching the key.

2. Member
    It's normal when shifting from forwards to neutral and reverse to neutral to idle down but to start up on its own the is something electrical going on.

There was another post in here almost identical several months back, you may need to do some searching in this forum
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

4. Member
    Thanks. I will keep searching

5. Member
    Next time it happens, check to see if your key switch has completely returned to the "On" position.

My 2019 Mercury Pro XS 115 was doing this exact thing. I was able to finally simulate it and resolve the issue. You can hold the key slightly past the on position with the engine running in neutral. If you shift into gear while holding the key in this position it will kill the engine due to the neutral safety circuit. It will automatically restart when returning to neutral due to the key position.

In my case, my key switch had been installed upside down meaning the drain hole was at the top. I believe this is what caused the switch to begin sticking. It was as if the o-rings or seals had dried out creating too much friction for it to spring return to the "on" indent. It had me stumped because it was intermittent. It seemed to only happen on short runs or after being on the water in the sun for a bit. I guess the longer runs were enough to "bounce" the key back to the on position.

6. Member
    I will check the switch but if I am reading this correctly yours would kill shifting into gear from neutral. Mine is running and cruising fine but if I bring it to slowest forward speed then shift to neutral, it dies like I shut off the key. It really hasn't affected me using the boat but could be an issue if it happens while docking which it luckily hasn't done.

7. Member
    Mine would die when shifting to neutral. Then restart on its own if I shift into gear and back to neutral.

It has to do with the way the nuetral safety circuit is programmed.

I had the same issue. I was just trying to explain how I validated it. I replaced my key switch and have not had anymore issues.

8. Member
    Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood. I will check my switch. Thanks for the help.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdixer View Post
    Next time it happens, check to see if your key switch has completely returned to the "On" position.

My 2019 Mercury Pro XS 115 was doing this exact thing. I was able to finally simulate it and resolve the issue. You can hold the key slightly past the on position with the engine running in neutral. If you shift into gear while holding the key in this position it will kill the engine due to the neutral safety circuit. It will automatically restart when returning to neutral due to the key position.

In my case, my key switch had been installed upside down meaning the drain hole was at the top. I believe this is what caused the switch to begin sticking. It was as if the o-rings or seals had dried out creating too much friction for it to spring return to the "on" indent. It had me stumped because it was intermittent. It seemed to only happen on short runs or after being on the water in the sun for a bit. I guess the longer runs were enough to "bounce" the key back to the on position.
    ^^^^ One strong possibility.

This is a Smart-Start engine. It receives a signal for either key to start position, OR if the engine is running, Lanyard activation. Any abnormality in these switches (or wires to/from them) can falsely trigger a Stop/Start signal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Update:
    I turned the key a few times with the power off. I have put around 20 hours on this motor and it hasn't happened since. Thanks for the help everyone.